[Masque] Rechartering WGs (was: Re: WG Review: Multiplexed Application Substrate over QUIC Encryption (masque))

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Fri, 21 April 2023 15:12 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 11:12:17 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, iesg@ietf.org
cc: masque@ietf.org, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: [Masque] Rechartering WGs (was: Re: WG Review: Multiplexed Application Substrate over QUIC Encryption (masque))

Picking up on the MASQUE proposal and Martin's note as an
example of a more general issue...

--On Friday, April 21, 2023 20:01 +0900 "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> In a case like the one below, it would be extremely helpful to
> have a (pointer to a) diff between the current and the
> proposed charter.

Agreed.  And, fwiw, it would be even more helpful if, in
addition to the diff, there was a report from the WG about what
they have accomplished, what additional work they see as
necessary (and, if it was not originally anticipated and
reflected in the prior charter, why), and how long they see the
work continuing (e.g., will this rechartering be the last
because the work will be done when the new milestones are met.

I don't know what Martin had in mind by "a case like the one
below", but I think that sort of explanation should be required
for every rechartering request, certainly ones that are "not
intended to be [a] long-lived".

If, as reported in earlier threads, ADs are working at capacity
and the IESG's steering/management theory relies on "trust the
WG Chairs" then somewhat more reporting to the community along
with a request for comments about recharter requests is one of
the few opportunities for community oversight without
significantly increasing the IESG workload.

Also, at a slight increase to that workload, I think it is
reasonable to expect that ADs will engage Chairs in performance
reviews as part of the rechartering process before renewing
their appointments.  I have no reason to believe there is any
problem with the leadership of this particular WG (and some
reason to believe things are in good shape in that regard).
However, we have sometimes heard times from other ADs about
other working groups that an underperforming WG Chair cannot be
replaced because there are no other candidates. If that
situation exists in a WG for which rechartering is needed, it is
probably a good time to ask whether, if there isn't sufficient
community interest to produce appropriate volunteers, extending
the WG with a new charter and schedule is appropriate.

best,
   john