Re: [MBONED] WGLC for draft-ietf-mboned-interdomain-peering-bcp (fwd)

Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk> Mon, 08 February 2016 11:11 UTC

From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 11:10:44 +0000
To: Leonard Giuliano <lenny@juniper.net>
Cc: "mboned@ietf.org" <mboned@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WGLC for draft-ietf-mboned-interdomain-peering-bcp (fwd)

Hi,

> On 2 Feb 2016, at 23:16, Leonard Giuliano <lenny@juniper.net> wrote:
>

> Thanks Percy and Bob.  Regarding the pertinence of the back office
> content, I guess we can agree to disagree.  I'd still be very interested
> to hear what others think about the necessity and scope of this content
> in this doc.

I read the draft and have a few comments.

Firstly, I agree about the references to MLD, IGMP and especially MSDP; these are not discussed in the draft, so just focus it on PIM-SSM.

As Lenny says, why not focus it on SSM, as the model that the WG is keen to promote?  This could then be the guidance for sites to do inter-domain SSM well, including AMT support (to the client).  As it stands, PIM-SSM is only listed as a ‘protocol that is available’.

If you really want to make it about PIM-SM, then you need to mention that, keep MSDP, but also add Embedded-RP. But I think there’s strong consensus in mobbed to focus on SSM.

The text itself seems good, but it is quite verbose. It could probably be anything up to 50% shorter, and retain most of the key information. The question is whether there’s  appetite to focus it.  There’s nothing wrong per se, it’s just quite a heavy read when the key messages/use cases could be more succinct.  Having stuff like a security breach implementation plan included seems unnecessary detail, for example.

A terminology section at the start might be nice.

It’s also a reminder that draft-ietf-mboned-mdh-04 is now 16 years old. Somewhere on my list is a plan to speak to Dave about an update :)
(which could also now be more focused on SSM deployment)

Tim