Re: [MBONED] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mboned-multiaaa-framework-10.txt

Hiroaki Sato <satou.hiroaki@lab.ntt.co.jp> Thu, 18 February 2010 12:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:09:26 +0900
From: Hiroaki Sato <satou.hiroaki@lab.ntt.co.jp>
To: "ALTOM, MARK W (ATTLABS)" <ma697r@att.com>
Cc: mboned@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MBONED] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mboned-multiaaa-framework-10.txt

Mark,

Thank you for your draft review and feedback.  I will respond inline.

Hiroaki

> Hiroaki,
> Here a few notes that we had on AAA and Admission Control Framework for
> Multicasting (draft-ietf-mboned-multiaaa-framework-10).
>
> 1.  Is there a mechanism to prevent the sharing of authorization (e.g.,
> sharing an S,G among end users)?

-> Our assumption is that the NSP identifies the user on L2 (such as
VLAN or PPP) And it would be
problematic for NSP if more than two receivers for the same user
accessed the same channel and one
is accepted but the other is rejected on L2 or L3.   Prevention of
unauthorized content sharing could be
handled on the application layer by the CP: e.g. could distinguish among
receivers and distribute encryption
keys so that non-authorized receivers can not make use of the content.

Do you have any ideas related to preventing the sharing of
authorization?  Do you have any proposals of
how the NSP might effectively distinguish among receivers on the same
line (is it necessary)?

> 2.  Section 4.1.1 states that "...NSP will forward multicast traffic
> towards the user only when the NSP has 1) made sure the user is entitled
> to access the network resources operated by the NSP, 2) received a
> confirmation from the CP that the user is entitled to access the content
> and (possibly) 3) determined that the network resources (e.g.,
> bandwidth) are sufficient to deliver the multicast traffic to the user
> with the relevant level of quality."  When the third condition is not
> satisfied and an end-user is prevented from joining the multicast
> stream, should the CP be notified as part of accounting?

-> Content delivery starts after 2 conditions are met 1) the CP confirms
authorization and NSP confirm admission control (possibly including
network resource check, etc.)
Our assumption is that NSP will send an accounting start notification
once the traffic delivery starts. Therefore as the draft is now no
notification would be sent in the case of access being denied because of
access resource issues. Do you think a notification in the third case
should be included?

> 3.  The heading to Section 4.1.3 is incorrect.  It should be "A single
> CP is connected to multiple NSPs."

->It's a typo. we will correct it.

> 4.  On page 19, the reference in the text to Figure 3 should be to
> Figure 4.  The text should read:  "In the fully enabled model (Figure 4)
> resource management and admission control is provided by MACF (Multicast
> Admission Control Function)."

->It's a typo. we will correct it.