[Megaco] Re: Comments draft-ietf-megaco-naspkg-04.txt

Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@ericsson.com.au> Wed, 08 May 2002 01:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:34:08 +1000
From: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@ericsson.com.au>
To: Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortelnetworks.com>
CC: Megaco <megaco@ietf.org>
Subject: [Megaco] Re: Comments draft-ietf-megaco-naspkg-04.txt
Sender: megaco-admin@ietf.org

G'Day Tom,

Please see my replies below.

Regards, Christian

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:

> Thanks for your comments.

[CHG] Component is OK for me.

> o Sect 6.5 talks about the bearer capabilities in the TDM SDP draft and H.248
> Annex C. I think in the interests in keeping things consistent and help
> interoperability that the same values should be used for both ie. USI, TMR. So
>
> you could specify exactly what values should be used from Annex C and the
> relevant SDP attributes.
>
> [PTT] I'm not sure how to respond to this.  This document isn't really meant
> to be a NAS designer's guide: I'm trying to define something to meet their
> requirements, not tell them what parameters to use.  It might be more
> legitimate for me to create such a cross-reference in my SDP-for-TDM document.

[CHG] OK point taken but your text does appear in the normative part of the
draft (procedures text) and effectively by having those references you are
advice to NAS designers to do different things for the text and binary. Updating
the sentence to read "It will typically add the bearer capability properties  to
Local and Remote for the circuit termination based on call signalling." will
solve my concern. Alternatively you could list the current references and the
mention that for common binary/text people should use native USI/TMR values (SDP
a=isup_usi:<>) or H.248 Annex C USI (0x9023).

> o Sect 7.1.1 Dialout Number > Default if unspecified is "absent". The reads as
>
> if the value should be set "absent". Perhaps a better formulation is "Dialled
> number is absent if unspecified"
>
> [PTT] OK
>
> o Sect 8.2.1 allows the MG to indicate to the MGC that an outgoing call should
>
> be initiated. It provides the appropriate destination (dialnum) but I can't
> find
> anywhere that describes the type of call to be placed. I would have thought
> that
> the MG should also provide some sort of bearer capabilities to be used in the
> call. Perhaps the appropriate values (eg. USI/TMR) could be provided as an
> additional 2 optional parameters to the CallReq event.
>
> [PTT]  Good point: I'll have to think about this.  The whole area of
> network-initiated outgoing calls seems to be a bit beyond present practice.

[CHG] If the capability remains in the packages to be able to make Network
initiated outgoing calls then we probably need it.

> o Sect 9.1.1 Naming Patterns - I'm not sure what this is meant to achieve. The
>
> procedures don't cover this. Do you audit value/ audit capability? What should
>
> be returned? TID=NAS/*??
>
> [PTT] The naming pattern is a terminationState property on ROOT.  Whatever
> procedures apply to such properties apply to it.  In text encoding, the
> returned item would be
>
>    terminationState={ ..., nasroot/nampat="nas/*", ...}

[CHG] I understand how properties on root work. However from the property text I
didn't see what exactly the property was required to do. I checked on the
NamingPatternPackage and it seemed alot more complicated than what you had
presented in the NAS package but I guess the aim is different. Perhaps an
example showing multiple naming patterns is required just to make the use clear.