Re: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

Fred Baker <fred@isc.org> Sat, 14 July 2018 06:04 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 23:04:10 -0700
Cc: Wes Hardaker <ietf@hardakers.net>, mentoring-coordinators@ietf.org
To: Kevin Borgolte <kevinbo@cs.ucsb.edu>
Subject: Re: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

I have a couple of comments inline. Looking forward to lunch on Sunday.

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Kevin Borgolte <kevinbo@cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> thanks for reaching out!
>
>> You, I take it, are at UCSB. I live near the north end of Fairview, on Via Del Rey. Yes, I have some exciting photos of this weekend's events and the aftermath. The good news is that my home isn't among the 13 destroyed - Via Del Rey is the road next over, and while we had fire coming through the orchards, we aren't included in the "100 acres destroyed". We had three fire teams working on the house, and they were successful. We did lose a bunch of avocado trees.
>
> Funny that you are also from the Santa Barbara area! Glad to hear that
> the fire last week didn't affect you too much and that the fire teams
> were there to protect your home, it's unfortunate that the avocado
> trees didn't survive (who doesn't love avocado?). We live downtown
> Santa Barbara (Bath and Micheltorena), so we weren't impacted by this
> fire and we ended up support for friends who live on Cathedral Oaks
> between Fairview and Patterson and had to evacuate.
>
>> What is your schedule coming to Montreal? I will be landing (UA 8338, operated by Air Canada) Saturday around 18:00, and probably be at the Fairmont by 19:00. If you give me your phone number, I can text you when I arrive and we can meet for dinner/drinks. Mine is +1-805-637-0529.
>
> My schedule coming to Montreal changed quite a bit the last few days,
> since I still don't have my laptop back from repair, and I will need
> it for my ANRW presentation. I will now arrive with a red-eye on
> Sunday morning (7am). Originally, I wanted to be there for the ICANN
> DNS Symposium today already, but then had to rebook to arriving
> Saturday at 11pm (which also didn't work out because my laptop is only
> supposed to be back tomorrow noon, which is why I'll arrive on a
> red-eye Sunday morning now). Hence, meeting for dinner on Saturday
> won't work unfortunately, but I'd love to meet for
> coffee/tea/breakfast/lunch before the Newcomer's tutorial (12:30pm) on
> Sunday. Would that work for you? My phone number is +1-805-364-3186.

Let's plan on lunch Sunday. I will be giving a talk 9:30-11:00, but available after that. Best place to meet is that standard meeting place at IETF meetings - IETF Registration. Maybe meet there 11:15 r thereabouts?

> To give some background on myself: I am a PhD student at UCSB in the
> Computer Security group with Christopher Kruegel, Giovanni Vigna, and
> previously Dick Kemmerer. I will graduate in September, but I will
> stick around academia, and I hope to be more involved with the
> practical side of things.

Hmm. You may know Kevin Almeroth or Elizabeth Belding-Royer...