Re: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

Fred Baker <fred@isc.org> Thu, 12 July 2018 17:52 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@isc.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:52:49 -0700
Cc: mentoring-coordinators@ietf.org
To: Wes Hardaker <ietf@hardakers.net>, kevinbo@cs.ucsb.edu
Subject: Re: [Mentoring-coordinators] Mentoring introductions

Thanks Wes. Hi Kevin.

What is your schedule coming to Montreal? I will be landing (UA 8338, operated by Air Canada) Saturday around 18:00, and probably be at the Fairmont by 19:00. If you give me your phone number, I can text you when I arrive and we can meet for dinner/drinks. Mine is +1-805-637-0529.

You, I take it, are at UCSB. I live near the north end of Fairview, on Via Del Rey. Yes, I have some exciting photos of this weekend's events and the aftermath. The good news is that my home isn't among the 13 destroyed - Via Del Rey is the road next over, and while we had fire coming through the orchards, we aren't included in the "100 acres destroyed". We had three fire teams working on the house, and they were successful. We did lose a bunch of avocado trees.

Wes says you're interested in ACME (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/acme/charter/) and IPv6 (presumably 6man and v6ops). If you're not yet on the lists for those, the charter will tell you how to join, and I would recommend doing so if you plan to be involved in the working groups. The IETF agenda is at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/agenda/. It has ACME meeting for 2.5 hours Tuesday afternoon, but the posted agenda is almost vacuous. I would suggest that you see the attached raw agenda data (which is in a format that helps me in planning my working group agendas), and plan to read the updated working group documents and draft-sheffer-acme-star-request. I think the "main" ACME document listed in the working group agenda is draft-ietf-acme-acme; it would be good to also read that, although it has left the working group and is being discussed by the IESG.

Do attend the tutorials on Sunday, and the Newcomer's reception. I'll be able to introduce you to working group chairs of interest.

6man meets Monday morning, and v6ops (which I co-chair) meets Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. The agenda for each is available from https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/agenda/, and I would suggest you become familiar with the drafts listed in them.

Open to questions in email, but frankly I think we will do just as well to meet in Montreal. We'll be there shortly.