Re: [MEXT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mext-binding-revocation-12.txt

Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com> Fri, 11 September 2009 22:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:19:12 -0700
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com>
To: Ahmad Muhanna <amuhanna@nortel.com>, mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mext-binding-revocation-12.txt

Hi Ahmad

On 9/11/09 3:12 PM, "Ahmad Muhanna" wrote:

>> You have confused the heck out of me. :) Ok, back to the
>> issue. The MAG sends a bulk revocation message with the 'G'
>> flag set, but with the 'A' flag not set. What is the LMA
>> behavior for this?
>>
>> The current text says the LMA must silently discard the BRI.
>> This doesn't make sense.
>>
>> Can you first explain what the LMA should do before we try to
>> change any text?
> [Ahmad]
> Agreed. I was thinking that the message comes from the LMA to the MAG :(
>
> 1. If the MAG does not set the (A) bit, it is communicating to the LMA
> that it is NOT interested in getting back a BRA.
> 2. Consequently, when the MAG does not set the (A) bit, it does not
> retransmits the BRI and it does not track the BRI as one of the
> outstanding BRI messages.
>
> 3. NOW, when the LMA receives such message, as per this specification
> the MAG MUST have set the (A) bit in this case, but it did not. What the
> options for the LMA:
>
> 3.1. Process the message and remove all bindings without sending a BRA,
> but the MAG did violate the protocol and mandating that the MAG set the
> (A) bit in this case means something.
> 3.2. Process the message and send a BRA with an unsuccessful status
> code, well, the LMA can do that, BUT unfortunately it wont help in
> anything. Because as I said the MAG is NOT expecting a BRA and is not
> tracking the BRI as an outstanding message.
> 3.3. LMA consider this BRI as a violation of the protocol and does not
> remove the mobility sessions based on this message. In addition, since
> the (A) bit is not set, the LMA does not send a BRA. This means, LMA
> discard the message.
>
> IMO, option No. 3 is the correct one and that what rev 12 text says.

Option 3 is the least acceptable to me. Silently discarding the message
without letting the MAG know that something is wrong doesn't make sense.

Option 2 makes sense. If there is an error in a message you send, you should
always be ready to process the response that points to the error. We might
need to come up with a new status for this.

This actually proves that leaving the ack optional makes no sense.

Vijay