Re: [MEXT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mext-binding-revocation-12.txt

"Ahmad Muhanna" <amuhanna@nortel.com> Fri, 11 September 2009 22:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:43:45 -0500
From: Ahmad Muhanna <amuhanna@nortel.com>
To: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com>, mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mext-binding-revocation-12.txt

Hi Vijay,

[Ahmad]
BUT did NOT the MAG violate the protocol to start with. If the MAG would
like to hear back from the LMA it MUST have followed the protocol and
set the (A) bit. We are not here trying to develop a protocol for NON
behaving MAGS:)

> Option 2 makes sense. If there is an error in a message you
> send, you should always be ready to process the response that
> points to the error. We might need to come up with a new
> status for this.
[Ahmad]
Well, I am not sure why it makes sense. The MAG is misbehaving and
violating the protocol. It already knows that it MUST set the (A) bit.
Also, the MAG knows that if it did not set the (A) bit, the LMA will
discard the message, so it is better to set the (A) bit then.

> This actually proves that leaving the ack optional makes no sense.

[Ahmad]
No at all. Look what RFC3775 says:

   Binding Acknowledgement

      A Binding Acknowledgement is used to acknowledge receipt of a
      Binding Update, if an acknowledgement was requested in the Binding

There more text in 3775 talks about the (A) bit; of course in the case
of BU/BA.