Re: [MEXT] Aeronautical NEMO RO

<Christian.Bauer@dlr.de> Fri, 11 September 2009 11:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:54:53 +0200
From: Christian.Bauer@dlr.de
To: alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] Aeronautical NEMO RO

Hi Alex,

> I have an overall question: is the absence of plane-to-plane
> communications scenarios from both the topology and solspace drafts - on
> purpose?  Or is it that nobody submitted input for it?
>
> (In the solspace draft you analyze MNN-to-CN, MR-CN, MR-CR and MR-HA
>   communications, but not MR-to-MR communications.  In the topology
>   draft, MR-to-CN, points of attachment and ground equipment seem
>   needed.)
>
> The IP mechanisms to achieve plane-to-plane communications may be easily
> developed, and they relate to the concept of NEMO network mobility and
> IPv6, and Mobile IPv6: may be categorized as optimal paths, the related
> IP techniques may be Route Optimization.
Air-to-air communication is of course existing, however, these applications often have broadcast semantics and, most importantly, are directly sitting on top of layer 2.

That is because they have no requirement for *multihop* communication. This is true for what is available today and even future ATS applications don't seem to have a requirement that goes beyond single-hop/broadcast-only communications (AFAIK).

The requirements document mentions air-to-air as (part of the) routing path for MNN-CN communications (see Des2 - Nesting). As this is not necessarily related to NEMO, it has been ommited.

Christian