Re: [MEXT] EXTENDED [WGLC] RFC 3775 bis / draft-ietf-mext-rfc3775bis

<Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com> Fri, 09 October 2009 22:49 UTC

From: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
To: arno@natisbad.org
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:48:26 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] EXTENDED [WGLC] RFC 3775 bis / draft-ietf-mext-rfc3775bis

Inline:

On 10/9/09 5:26 PM, "ext Arnaud Ebalard" <arno@natisbad.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> <Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com> writes:
>
>> A few comments about some of the citations being proposed:

>>> So that I can finish revising rfc3775bis before having to stop and read
>>> that draft,
>>> can you provide some suggested text for the proposed citation?  I'll try
>>> to read the
>>> draft in the next few days understand your citation and text.
>>
>> This reference does not add any value to 3775bis.
>
> I'll take that with salt ;-)

Only if you disagree about my comment. 3775 does not discuss the security
details and hence mentioning Pfkey interface here has no value.

>> It is more relevant in the context of 3776 or 4877.  Adding this
>> reference even in the Informative section is not required.
>
> I think rfc3775bis is about correcting issues and clarifying parts of
> 3775 based on existing feedback. IMHO, this is exactly what this
> informational reference provides.

Agree about what the intent of 377bis is. However the reference that you are
suggesting should be a part of the IPsec/IKE(v2) RFCs because it makes more
sense there.

> Even if you are against the use of IPsec/IKE with MIPv6, this is the
> security mechanism used by the protocol.

I am not "against" the use of IPsec/IKE with MIP6. I just think that it is
an impractical security model for MIP6.

> And providing informational
> pointers in the spec to possible solutions to support
>
>  - correct use of IKE with MIPv6
>  - efficient use of IPsec for protection of tunneled data

Right. But not in the context of 3775bis. The aspects of security are
specified in other RFCs which would be the relevant place to provide the
reference.

> is useful. It's not fair to keep saying that MIPv6 does not work with
> IPsec/IKE and in the meantime prevent efforts to clarify the
> interactions between the protocols to be added to the specs.

FWIW we do have a working implementation of MIP6 with IPsec/IKEv2. So I have
never stated that it does not work. I am of the opinion that there are
better security approaches that are easier to implement and deploy for MIP6.
IPsec/IKEv2 was the wrong choice for MIP6 security. However just because
that is what has been specified does not mean we cannot improve it. It is in
the WG and IETFs interest to specify a protocol that is actually
implementable and used rather than defining something which would challenge
implementers without any real benefit.

> That been said, I think I have argued enough on that aspect. I'll let
> Charles capture the thoughts of the working group and decide what to do.

Sure.

-Raj