Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] AD review of draft-ietf-adslmib-vdsl2-06.txt

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Thu, 22 January 2009 18:00 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: "'Romascanu, Dan (Dan)'" <dromasca@avaya.com>, "'MIB Doctors (E-mail)'" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:00:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] AD review of draft-ietf-adslmib-vdsl2-06.txt
Sender: mib-doctors-bounces@ietf.org

Wow! You need to take a closer look at this module.
In the past I just looked at your comments and made some suggestions.
(I was surprised to see a response to comments I forgot I made.)
I have not reviewed this module in depth. But their responses made me
look a little closer to understand what they were doing.

Here are a few of my favorites:

1) Xdsl2LineEntry  ::=
   SEQUENCE {
      xdsl2LineCnfgTemplate            SnmpAdminString,
      xdsl2LineCnfgFallbackTemplate    SnmpAdminString,
      xdsl2LineAlarmCnfgTemplate       SnmpAdminString,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfPmsf            Xdsl2ConfPmsForce,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfLdsf            Xdsl2LineLdsf,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfLdsfFailReason  Xdsl2LdsfResult,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfBpsc            Xdsl2LineBpsc,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfBpscFailReason  Xdsl2BpscResult,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfBpscReqCount    Unsigned32,
      xdsl2LineCmndAutomodeColdStart   TruthValue,
      xdsl2LineCmndConfReset           Xdsl2LineReset,
      xdsl2LineStatusActTemplate       SnmpAdminString,
      xdsl2LineStatusXtuTransSys       Xdsl2TransmissionModeType,
      xdsl2LineStatusPwrMngState       Xdsl2PowerMngState,
      xdsl2LineStatusInitResult        Xdsl2InitResult,
      xdsl2LineStatusLastStateDs       Xdsl2LastTransmittedState,
      xdsl2LineStatusLastStateUs       Xdsl2LastTransmittedState,
      xdsl2LineStatusXtur              Xdsl2LineStatus,
      xdsl2LineStatusXtuc              Xdsl2LineStatus,
      xdsl2LineStatusAttainableRateDs  Unsigned32,
      xdsl2LineStatusAttainableRateUs  Unsigned32,
      xdsl2LineStatusActPsdDs          Integer32,
      xdsl2LineStatusActPsdUs          Integer32,
      xdsl2LineStatusActAtpDs          Integer32,
      xdsl2LineStatusActAtpUs          Integer32,
      xdsl2LineStatusActProfile        Xdsl2LineProfiles,
      xdsl2LineStatusActLimitMask      Xdsl2LineLimitMask,
      xdsl2LineStatusActUs0Mask        Xdsl2LineUs0Mask,
      xdsl2LineStatusActSnrModeDs      Xdsl2LineSnrMode,
      xdsl2LineStatusActSnrModeUs      Xdsl2LineSnrMode,
      xdsl2LineStatusElectricalLength  Unsigned32,
      xdsl2LineStatusTssiDs            Xdsl2Tssi,
      xdsl2LineStatusTssiUs            Xdsl2Tssi,
      xdsl2LineStatusMrefPsdDs         Xdsl2MrefPsdDs,
      xdsl2LineStatusMrefPsdUs         Xdsl2MrefPsdUs,
      xdsl2LineStatusTrellisDs         TruthValue,
      xdsl2LineStatusTrellisUs         TruthValue,
      xdsl2LineStatusActualCe          Unsigned32
   }
I love the abrreviations everywhere.
Check out inconsistent abbreviations, such as
xdsl2LineCnfgFallbackTemplate which points to the
xdsl2LineConfTemplateTable. (cnfg and conf both mean configuration)
I note that RFC2662 uses "conf" consistently.

2) I especially like the "you're screwed" counter - the
xdsl2LineCmndConfBpscReqCount let's management station M1 know when
another management station M2 requested a measurement, which caused
the relevant counter to reset, such that M1's measurement
is no longer valid.
      "SNMP managers can use this attribute to check that the
       measurement results retrieved by the manager where not
       interupted by another measurement request."

I thought we discouraged resetting counters in IETF MIB modules?
Has this MIB been seriously reviewed by a MIB technical advisor?
Has this MIB module been reviewed by any management application
designers?

3) note the naming conventions for counters are not being followed -
xdsl2LineCmndConfBpscReqCount should probably be
xdsl2LineCmndConfBpscRequests.

4) xdsl2LineCmndConfBpscReqCount - note that this counter is not a
Counter32, but an Unsigned32.

5) I am a bit concerned about the table that actually contains the
measurement - the xdsl2LineSegmentTable  The actual measurement is in
xdsl2LineSegmentBitsAlloc. It appears the value is overloaded to
provide subcarrier allocation status, as well as the result of a line
diagnostic test.

6) from security consdierations "Unauthorized changes to
xdsl2LineCmndConfBpsc could cause an unscheduled bits per subcarrier
measurement to be carried out on the line.", and "Unauthorized changes
to xdsl2LineCmndConfLdsf could cause an unscheduled line test to be
carried out on the line." Since these two measurements report using
the same object, and since one measurement can interfere with the
validity of the measurement requested by a different manager, this
seems to have serious issues of information reliability.

7) On a larger scale, I am concerned that this appears to be a
**competing** standard to RFC2662. This does not complement, or
update, or obsolete RFC2662.

I have not yet gone into the two mib modules to determine how
compatible they are, but section 4 in this document makes me really
uneasy as a (previous) management app designer. Can a device support
both mib modules simultaneously? Can a manageent app use both MIB
modules simultaneously to manage the same ADSL functions on a device?

I note that rfc2662 does support using the entity mib, while this mib
module does not. Which makes me wonder about the compatibility between
the two mib modules.

8) Per section 4, you need to go read G.997.1 to understand the
conformance requirements for this MIB module. G.997.1 appears to not
be a free document.

--
I am NOT volunteering to be the MIB Doctor for this document. I have
dealt with huge MIB modules before, especially ones designed by people

But I think you need to have this MIB reviewed thoroughly, because it
looks to me like the designers do not have a good understanding of how
MIB modules should be designed for
interoperability with multiple simultaneous management apps, and for
usebaility by operators.

dbh