Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Adrian Farrel's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-mib-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Sun, 21 July 2013 09:51 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:51:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.46]
Cc: 'Luigi Iannone' <ggx@gigix.net>, "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, "lisp-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <lisp-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-lisp-mib@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-lisp-mib@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MIB-DOCTORS] Adrian Farrel's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-mib-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi,

I am surprised by the argumentation.

> >> Bottom line, I don't think anyone has made a substantial case for
> >> this being in mib2, and I stand by my previous email.

I believe that substantial and argumented cases against locating the MIB under experimental were made in the initial MIB Doctor advice, and than substantial and later in the discussion by Joel and DBH.

> > If/When we get to the point of moving LISP to the Standards Track, we
> > can do the necessary work to move the MIB to "mib-2".

Is this clear to all IESG members participating in the discussion that there is no such thing like 'moving the MIB to "mib-2"? You cannot just change the OIDs, you also need to change all the associated descriptors (names of all objects) in the MIB module. In other words deprecate the MIB module under experimental and create a new MIB module under mib-2 which may look very similar but has different OIDs and descriptors (names). Plus the tools and applications already using the older MIB modules will need to be migrated to the new OIDs and object names and probably support both for a period of transition.

Maybe this is the argumentation that was missing (although it was already said in other words)?

Regards,

Dan