Re: [mif] MIF at the application level

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Mon, 16 March 2009 07:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:55:49 +0100
From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
To: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
Cc: mif@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mif] MIF at the application level

Marc Petit-Huguenin escribió:

>>>   Before NICE, people tried to find the best route by
>>> trying to guess what type of NAT was in front of the host, which is
>>> a problem that cannot be solved.  I feel that choosing the right
>>> local address is a similar kind of problem that NICE can solve at
>>> the application level.
>>>

>> while the problem maybe similar, my take is that there are much simpler
>> solutions that trying every address pair
>>

> This is what people said for the discovery of NAT type, hence RFC
> 3489 - and it's subsequent deprecation - so, we'll see.

fair enough

> Do you have any pointer to this solutions?

Well, since there are many problems related to multiple interfaces as
described in blanchet's draft, i guess the solutions will be a set of tools.
I am still reading all the drafts on solutions, but what seems clear is
that there are devices with multiple interfaces today and they seem to
work somehow. So, imho the most interesting is to understand first how
they currently do it and see if additional mechanisms are needed, or by
simply documenting this, we are ok.
So, in this perspective a good place to start is
draft-mrw-mif-current-practices-01

regards, marcelo