[mif] AD review of draft-ietf-mif-current-practices

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Fri, 01 October 2010 18:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 21:45:23 +0300
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: mif <mif@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-mif-current-practices@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [mif] AD review of draft-ietf-mif-current-practices

I have reviewed this document. Overall, this is a good document, but
some work still remains. My biggest issues were the following:

The document is quite focused on the access network selection problem,
which has already been discussed extensively in RFC 5113. It is fine to
include discussion of the access network selection problem as well,
because it is all part of the same problem space. But I would have
expected the document discuss in more detail what the various
implementations do at layer 3. For instance, do they use RFC 3484, are
DNS settings per-node or per-interface, if an application is bound to an
interface does it always use the DNS settings for exactly that interface
or the per-node settings, what happens with overlapping address space, etc.

The document is somewhat imbalanced, there's very little (too little)
information about some devices and operating systems whereas the Windows
description is detailed and informative. I would suggest that some of
the devices for which there is very little information are either
removed from the document or some more information is inserted about them.

Detailed comments:

Section 3.1.3 s/in a MIF context/here/ (the MIF context is a fine term
to use in WG discussion, but will look odd in a published RFC by the
time the WG has concluded).

On Section 3.1.4 (BlackBerry) it was unclear to me what type of gateways
the text refers to. Default router, web proxy, application proxy,
something else? On the second paragraph of the same section it is
unclear what "device" refers to. The entire device can use multiple
networks simultaneously? Does that mean that one application can use
multiple networks simultaneously, to the same destinations (like in
mp-tcp) or to different destinations? Or just that multiple applications
can use different networks simultaneously?`Please be more precise about
what is actually happening, as opposed to claiming a general capability.

Section 3.1.7 says very little about the hard issues around MIF, such as
whether overlapping address space is tolerated, whether there is a
possibility of some policy being sent from the network, whether DNS info
is per node or per interface, etc.

But also other sections under 3.1 seem thin. I realize that its hard to
get information, but at least some of these devices are open source and
run on top of standard kernels such as Linux, so it should be possible
to find out a bit more. Or we can ask for further information from the
people who gave us the original data, I suppose at least some of them
work for the manufacturers.

> iPhone
>
> Iphone
Inconsistent capitalization.

>       Whatever is the handset, fallback on L3 attachment failure is not
>       supported for motionless terminals.  Actually, the connection
>       manager always selects the most powerful signal strength without
>       considering IP configuration results.  In other words, if the
>       terminal is unable to set up the IP connectivity on one wifi
>       access, the connection manager will not try to attach to an
>       alternative point of attachment (or SSID) as long as the signal
>       strength of the first radio link is the most powerful.

What is "motionless terminal"? All devices that you mention are mobile.

Besides, I'm fairly certain that the above does not apply to Android.
The device that I have does seem to switch away from a strong-signal
SSID to another SSID, if L3 attachment fails.

> in the scope of MIF.

... in the scope of this document.

Jari