Re: [mile] Documents for consideration as MILE WG items

<david.black@emc.com> Sun, 30 October 2011 19:17 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch, turners@ieca.com
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:17:17 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: mile@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mile] Documents for consideration as MILE WG items

Hi Brian,

> Thanks for the comments! An excellent point on the template and iodef-xmlreg... Indeed, the primary
> reason that these _are_ two drafts is to address the situation that a document template is clearly
> Informational: a Standards Track document with what is essentially a convenience template for other
> documents might be incorrectly read as process to further standardize the form of MILE documents,
> which is 1. not the intention and 2. IMO a bad idea for its inflexibility.

Hmm - the following sentence in section 4 may need some tweaking to align with that intention:

   Documents describing an IODEF extension should follow the document
   template given in this section.

> I had assumed after discussion with IANA that changes to the IANA XML Registry itself, or the process
> for handling it, would require a Standards Track document. Practically speaking, the change would be
> implemented with a note added to the top of the Registry noting that any registration of an IODEF-
> relevant schema would require additional Expert Review. However, looking at 3688, the BCP that defines
> the registry, it is probably sufficient to update it with a BCP, and a BCP status for the template is
> not at all inappropriate IMO.

That sounds promising - a BCP is a standards-track document, and I agree that sections 2 and 3 of the mile-template draft look like BCP material. There should be no problem putting the template itself into an informative appendix of a BCP, and doing so may improve the document structure (e.g., reduces the opportunity to confuse the template's IANA Considerations section with the enclosing draft's IANA Considerations section).  It may also make sense to add a section to the draft with strong recommendations (SHOULD) on what to include as part of specifying an IODEF extension, independent of whether the template is used or not.

That said, I would *definitely* wait for Sean's guidance.  With mile not meeting until late Wednesday in Taipei, a -02 version could be submitted when submissions reopen on Monday.

Thanks,
--David