[Mip4] Re: Pre-Registration Request routing issue in Low Latency Handoffs in Mobile IPv4 Draft --

Karim El Malki <karim@athonet.com> Mon, 12 March 2007 20:00 UTC

Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:06:19 +0100
From: Karim El Malki <karim@athonet.com>
To: Chugtu Manish-a22653 <manishc@motorola.com>
Cc: mip4@ietf.org
Subject: [Mip4] Re: Pre-Registration Request routing issue in Low Latency Handoffs in Mobile IPv4 Draft --

Hi Manish,
If I understand the problem correctly, you're saying that
it would take longer for the Registration Req to reach nFA
in the case of reverse tunnelling since it would have to
traverse the HA twice. This may or may not delay the
actual handoff depending on the anticipation time and the FA-HA
delay. Typically the wireless leg and handoff time tend to
compensate for additional fixed delays so there would not be
a problem. However there may be a case where the overall handoff
time is impacted (do you have any practical case?) thus we
could introduce shorter path routing for the reverse
tunnelling case. The oFA has knowledge of its nFA neighbour
addresses and could further filter incoming packets (RR?)
destined to the nFA routing them through the secure oFA-nFA
interface. That would be compatible with reverse tunnelling
and the packets wouldn't be dropped by source address filters.
There's a couple of issues, possibily including this one, that
I'd like to take up in a revision of the draft following RFC
publication (in RFC Ed queue). I'll put forward a list.
Regards,
Karim