Re: [Mip4] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-07.txt

Christophe Janneteau <Christophe.Janneteau@motorola.com> Thu, 17 January 2008 11:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:42:37 +0100
From: Christophe Janneteau <Christophe.Janneteau@motorola.com>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip4] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-07.txt
Cc: john.zhao@huawei.com, mip4@ietf.org

John, Alex,

My understanding is that the base NEMOv4 specification
(draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-07.txt) requires double encapsulation to
be used for the Foreign Agent CoA mode, but makes it optional for the
Collocated CoA mode. In other words, in Collocated CoA mode, the spec
allows (and actually encourages = SHOULD) the simple (bi-directional)
encapsulation between MR and HA to be used.

The double encapsulation is required in the FA CoA mode, to ensure
transparency with respect to legacy (RFC3344) Foreign Agent. If simple
encapsulation only would be used, the FA would need to be able to
forward a packet addressed to an LFN address while only the MR's HoA is
present in the FA's visitor list...and the packet would be dropped. The
draft "FA extensions to NEMOv4 Base" (draft-ietf-mip4-nemov4-fa-01.txt)
aims at addressing this specific issue by defining extension to FA to
make it NEMOv4 aware and thus allow the use of simple encapsulation
(i.e. of the sole FA<->HA tunnel and nor more the additional inner
MR_HOA<-->HA tunnel).

Can authors confirm this was the intention of the two different specs
(i.e. the NEMOv4 base spec allowing simple encapsulation for the
Collocated CoA mode, while a separate doc specifying it for the FA CoA
mode)?

I have not checked the last version of the base NEMOv4 spec to determine
if the current text is explicit enough about these aspects. John what do
you think?

Thanks
Christophe.