RE: [Mip6] Bootstrapping DT solution draft

Gerardo Giaretta <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM> Tue, 12 July 2005 12:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:39:48 +0200
From: Gerardo Giaretta <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM>
Subject: RE: [Mip6] Bootstrapping DT solution draft
To: Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@dif.um.es>
Cc: mip6@ietf.org
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Rafa,

thank you very much for your detailed review and sorry for my late
response. Please see my comments inline.

> Hi Gerardo, DT members
>
> Firstly, i would like to thank you about this so expected work.
>
> Following, please see inline my comments...
>
> <snip>
>

> > 3. Split scenario
> > In the problem statement draft [4] there is a clear assumption that
> > mobility service and network access service can be separate. This
> > assumption implies that mobility service and network access service
> > may be authorized by different entities. As an example, the service
> > model defined in [4] allows an enterprise network to deploy a Home
> > Agent and offer Mobile IPv6 service to a user, even if the user is
> > accessing the Internet independent of its enterprise
> account (e.g., by
> > using his personal WiFi hotspot account at a coffee shop).
> > Therefore, in this document it is assumed that network access and
> > mobility service are authorized by different entities, which means
> > that authentication and authorization for mobility service
> and network
> > access will be considered separately. This scenario is called split
> > scenario.
> >

> > Moreover, the model defined in [4] separates the entity
> providing the
> > service from the entity that authenticates and authorizes the user.
> > This is similar to the roaming model for network access.
> >
> $Rafa> I was wondering what is the role of MSP AAA server in
> the roaming
> scenario. For example considering following example:
>
> MN <---------IKEv2(EAP)------------>HA<------Diameter(EAP) ------->
> MSA's AAA server
>
> HA can request a redirect agent to contact directly with MSA's AAA
> server (at least this policy is being followed with network
> access service
> as far as I know). So what is the role of MSP's AAA server?? only AAA
> routing??

AAA server is involved in AAA routing. But, as you mention below, it
should have an active role also in the authorization step, since the
usage of the HA in the MSP may need to be explicetly authorized by the
MSP itself.

> Another related question is about authorization. Under my
> point of view
> , MSP's AAA server is the entity that finally takes decision about if
> the mobility service is authorized or not. MSA's AAA server could send
> to MSP's AAA some kind of evidences or attributes related with
> authenticated user.Following these attributes and internal policies
> MSP's AAA server takes a final decision.

I tend to agree. This is the reason why AAA server of the MSP should be
involved. I think that these issues should be covered by
draft-mip6-aaa-ha-goals. As you know, in this DT draft, we have not
spcified the backend communitcation between HA and AAA infrastructure
since we consider it out of the scope of the DT.

> In particular , I was thinking a similar model than it is shown in
> Diameter EAP application I-D (Scenario 3: Direct EAP,
> authorization via
> agents).
>
> Note this dicussion could be also valid for other services
> (i.e. network
> access service).

I tend to agree also here. The MSP might need to add some authorization
AVPs. But, again, I think this is out of the scope of this draft. These
issues will be considered when we'll discuss the AAA backend protocol
specification.

> > Therefore, in the split scenario, two different cases can be
> > identified depending on the relationship between the entity that
> > provides the mobility service (i.e. Mobility Service Provider, MSP)
> > and the entity that authenticates and authorizes the user (i.e.
> > Mobility Service Authorizer, MSA).
> > Figure 1 depicts the split scenario when the MSP and the
> MSA are the
> > same entity. This means that the network operator that provides the
> > Home Agent authenticates and authorizes the user for
> mobility service.
>

> $Rafa> During text, you also consider PKI as backend infrastructure.
> Maybe it should appear in the figure 1 not only AAA.

Yes, you are right. I'll add it as a possible choice.

> [...]
> > +--+ | | | MSA/MSP AAA | <-------------> |HA| | | | server | AAA
> > protocol +--+ | | +-------------+ | | |
> > +-------------------------------------------+ +--+ |MN|
> +--+ Figure 1
> > - Split Scenario (MSA == MSP) G. Giaretta, Ed. Expires December 22,
> > 2005 [Page 6]
> >

> <snip>
>
> > 4. Components of the solution
> > The bootstrapping problem is composed of different
> sub-problems that
> > can be solved independently in a modular way. The components
> > identified and a brief overview of their solution follow.
> > o HA address discovery. The Mobile Node needs to discover
> the address
> > of its Home Agent. The main objective of a bootstrapping
> solution is
> > to minimize the data pre-configured on the Mobile Node. For this
> > reason, the DHAAD defined in [2] may not be applicable in real
> > deployments since it is required that the Mobile Node is
> > pre-configured with the home network prefix and it does not
> allow an
> > operator to load balance by having Mobile Nodes dynamically
> assigned
> > to Home Agents located in different subnets. This document
> defines a
> > solution for Home Agent address discovery that is based on
> Domain Name
> > Service (DNS), introducing a new DNS SRV record [5].
> >
> > The unique information that needs to be pre-
> > configured on the Mobile Node is the domain name of the MSP.
> >
> <snip>
>
> > o IPsec Security Associations setup. MIPv6 requires that a
> Mobile Node
> > and its Home Agent share an IPsec SA in order to protect binding
> > updates and other MIPv6 signaling. This document provides a
> solution
> > that is based on IKEv2 and follows what is specified in
> [6]. The IKEv2
> > peer authentication can be performed both using
> certificates and using
> > EAP, depending on the network operator's deployment model.
> > o HoA assignment. The Mobile Node needs to know its Home Address in
> > order to bootstrap Mobile IPv6 operation. The Home Address
> is assigned
> > by the Home Agent during the IKEv2 exchange (as described
> in [6]). The
> > solution defined in this draft also allows the Mobile Node to
> > auto-configure its Home Address based on stateless auto-
> > configuration ([20]), Cryptographically Generated Addresses
> ([9]) or
> > privacy addresses ([10]).
> > o Authentication and Authorization with MSA. The user must be
> > authenticated in order for the MSA to grant the service.
>

> <$Rafa> Here appears "MSA to grant the service" and in page
> 10 section
> 5.1.1
> "MSP granting the mobility service". Would it not be in the first case

Yes. What about the following text?

"
Authentication and Authorization with MSA. The user must be
authenticated in order for the MSP to grant the service. Since the user
credentials can be verified only by the MSA, this authorization step is
performed by the MSA. Moreover, the mobility service must be explicitly
authorized by the MSA based on the user's profile. These operations are
performed in different ways depending on the credentials used by the
Mobile Node during the IKEv2 peer authentication and on the backend
infrastructure (PKI or AAA).
"

> <snip>
>

> > 5. Protocol Operations
> > This section describes in detail the procedures needed to perform
> > Mobile IPv6 bootstrapping based on the components identified in the
> > previous section.
> >
> > 5.1. Home Agent Address Discovery
> > Once a Mobile Node has obtained network access, it can
> perform Mobile
> > IPv6 bootstrapping. For this purpose, the Mobile Node
> queries the DNS
> > server to request information on Home Agent service. As mentioned
> > before in the document, the only information that needs to be auto-
> > configured
>

> <$Rafa> autoconfigured---> pre-configured??

fixed.

> > on the Mobile Node is the domain name of the Mobility
> Service Provider.
> > The Mobile Node needs to obtain the IP address of the DNS server
> > before it can send a DNS request. This can be pre-configured on the
> > Mobile Node or obtained through DHCPv6 from the visited
> link [11]. In
> > any case, it is assumed that there is some kind of
> mechanism by which
> > the Mobile Node is configured with a DNS server since a DNS
> server is
> > needed for many other reasons.
> > Two options for DNS lookup for a Home Agent address are
> identified in
> > this document: DNS lookup by Home Agent Name and DNS lookup
> by service
> > name.
> > While this document specifies a Home Agent Address
> Discovery solution
> > based on DNS, when the ASP and the MSP are the same entity
> DHCP may be
> > used. See [15] for details.
> >
> <snip>
>

> > 5.4. Authorization and Authentication with MSA
> > In a scenario where the Home Agent is discovered dynamically by the
> > Mobile Node, it is very likely that the Home Agent is not able to
> > verify by its own the credentials provided by the Mobile
> Node during
> > the IKEv2 exchange. Moreover, the mobility service needs to be
> > explicitly authorized based on the user's profile.
>

> > As an example, the Home Agent might not be aware if the mobility
> > service can be granted at a particular time of the day or if the
> > credit of the Mobile Node is going to expire.
> >
> <$Rafa> In the example, could MSA know that mobility service can be or
> cannot be granted at a particular time depending on internal
> policies in
> the MSP? I guess this example considers that user's profile says that
> this user cannot use the service during a particular time of the
> day.However it does not consider that user has no restricction about
> this time but MSP decides that mobility service cannot be
> granted during
> a particular time of the day. Home Agent should be aware of this too.

Yes. The text refers to policies that the MSA might send to the MSP
based on the user's profile. However, as you mention, some policies can
be also forced by the MSP. Do you think we need some text about that in
the draft?

> > Due to all these reasons, the Home Agent may need to
> contact the MSA
> > in order to authenticate
> >
> > the Mobile Node and authorize mobility G. Giaretta, Ed. Expires
> > December 22, 2005 [Page 14]
> >

> > Internet-Draft MIPv6 bootstrapping in split scenario June 2005
> > service. This can be accomplished based on a Public Key
> Infrastructure
> > if certificates are used and a PKI
> >
> <$Rafa> For authorization ... are you considering attributes
> certificates when
> PKI is used...??

How to use PKI for authorization purposes is actually a general open
issue, not only in this draft. We mentioned this in the draft but I
think this is more in the scoper of AAA-HA interface solution. Maybe
Hannes could be more precise about that since he had some ideas during
DT discussion.

> [...]
> > provided.
> >

> > 6. Home Address registration in the DNS
> > In order that the Mobile Node is reachable through its dynamically
> > assigned Home Address, the DNS needs to be updated with the
> new Home
> > Address. Since applications make use of DNS lookups on FQDN
> to find a
> > node, the DNS update is essential for providing IP
> reachability to the
> > Mobile Node, which is the main purpose of the Mobile IPv6 protocol.
> > The need of DNS update is not discussed in RFC 3775 since
> it assumes
> > that the Mobile Node is provisioned with a static home address.
> > However, when a dynamic Home Address is assigned to the
> Mobile Node,
> > any existing DNS entry becomes invalid and the Mobile Node becomes
> > unreachable unless a DNS update is performed.
> > Since the DNS update must be performed securely in order to prevent
> > attacks or modifications from malicious nodes, the node performing
> > this update must share a security association with the DNS server.
> > Having all possible Mobile Nodes sharing a security
> association with
> > the DNS servers of the MSP might be cumbersome from an
> administrative
> > perspective. Moreover, even if a Mobile Node has a security
> > association with a DNS server of its MSP, an address authorization
> > issue comes into the picture. A detailed analysis of
> possible threats
> > against DNS update is provided in section 9.5.
> > Therefore, due to security and administrative reasons, it is
> > RECOMMENDED that the Home Agent perform DNS entry update for the
> > Mobile Node. For this purpose the Mobile Node MAY include a new
> > mobility option, the DNS Update option, with the flag R not
> set in the
> > Binding Update. This option is defined in section 8 and
> includes the
> > FQDN that needs to be updated. After receiving the Binding
> Update, the
> > Home Agent MUST update the DNS entry with the identifier
> provided by
> > the Mobile Node and the Home Address included in the Home Address
> > Option. The procedure for sending a dynamic DNS update message is
> > specified in [14]. The dynamic DNS update SHOULD be performed in a
> > secure way; for this reason, the usage of TKEY and TSEC or
> DNSSEC is
> > recommended (see section 9.5 for details). As soon as the
> Home Agent
> > has updated the DNS, it MUST send a Binding Acknowledgement
> message to
> > the Mobile Node including the DNS Update mobility option with the
> > correct value in the Status field (see section 8.1).
> > This procedure can be performed directly by the Home Agent
> if the Home
> > Agent has a security association with the domain specified in the
> > Mobile Node's FQDN.
> >

> <$Rafa> Why don't MSP's AAA server could do DNS update

It could. But I don't see a reason for that. Do you see any issue with
the current solution?

> > On the other hand, if the Mobile Node wants to be reachable
> through a
> > FQDN that belongs to the MSA, the Home Agent and the DNS
> server that
> > must be updated belong to different administrative domain.
> In this G.
> > Giaretta, Ed. Expires December 22, 2005 [Page 16]
> >

> > Internet-Draft MIPv6 bootstrapping in split scenario June 2005
> > case the Home Agent may not share a security association
> with the DNS
> > server and the DNS entry update can be performed by the AAA
> server of
> > the MSA. In order to accomplish this, the Home Agent sends
> to the AAA
> > server the FQDN-HoA pair through the AAA protocol. This message is
> > proxied by the AAA infrastructure of the MSP and is received by the
> > AAA server of the MSA. The AAA server of the MSA perform the DNS
> > update based on [14]. The detailed description of the communication
> > between Home Agent and AAA is out of the scope of this draft. More
> > details are provided in [12].
> >

> <snip>
>
> > 9. Security Considerations
> > 9.1. HA Address Discovery
> > Use of DNS for address discovery carries certain security
> risks. DNS
> > transactions in the Internet are typically done without any
> > authentication of the DNS server by the client or of the
> client by the
> > server. There are two risks involved:
> > 1) A legitimate client obtains a bogus Home Agent address
> from a bogus
> > DNS server. This is sometimes called a "pharming" attack,
> > 2) An attacking client obtains a legitimate Home Agent
> address from a
> > legitimate server.
> >
> <$Rafa>I have a comment regarding this case 1): I think any
> user already
> authenticated and authorized to use mobility service could launch
> this attack becuase user already owns a valid certificate and
> therefore
> a legitimate client could verify this certificate. The issue is this
> user is NOT AUTHORIZED to be a Home Agent. what do you think??

I don't get your point. Which scenario are you referring to? Are you
assuming only certificates is used or also AAA?

> [...]
> preventing them
> > played in the design of Mobile IPv6 route optimization security).
> > Exactly as for route optimization, it is possible for a
> node that is
> > the legitimate owner of a DNS FQDN - in the sense that it has a
> > security association with the DNS server allowing it to perform
> > dynamic DNS update of its FQDN - to bind its FQDN to the
> address of a
> > victim, then redirect large volumes of traffic at the victim. The
> > attack may be propagated without the owner's knowledge, for
> example,
> > if the node is compromised by malware, or it may be
> intentional if the
> > node itself is the attacker.
> > While it is possible to prevent redirection attacks through ingress
> > filtering on access routers, ISPs have little or no incentive to
> > deploy ingress filtering. In some cases, if an attack could
> result in
> > substantial financial gain, it is even possible that a
> corrupt ISP may
> > have an incentive not to deploy ingress filters such as has
> been the
> > case for spam. Consequently, the security for dynamic
> Mobile Node FQDN
> > update has been assigned to the Home Agent, where active network
> > administration and vigilant defense measures are more
> likely to (but
> > G. Giaretta, Ed. Expires December 22, 2005 [Page 25]
> >

> > Internet-Draft MIPv6 bootstrapping in split scenario June 2005
> > are not assured of) mitigating problems, and the owner of
> the Mobile
> > Node is more likely to detect a problem if it occurs.
> > If a Home Agent performs dynamic DNS update on behalf of the Mobile
> > Node directly with the DNS server, the Home Agent MUST have
> a security
> > association of some type with the DNS server. The security
> association
> > MAY be established either using DNSSEC [16] or TSIG/TKEY
> [17][18]. A
> > security association is required even if the DNS server is
> in the same
> > administrative domain as the Home Agent. The security association
> > SHOULD be separate from the security associations used for other
> > purposes, such as AAA.
> > In the case where the Mobility Service Provider is
> different from the
> > Mobility Service Authorizer, the network administrators may want to
> > limit the number of cross-administrative domain security
> associations.
> > If the Mobile Node's FQDN is in the Mobility Service Authorizer's
> > domain, since a security association for AAA signaling involved in
> > mobility service authorization is required in any case, the
> Home Agent
> > can send the Mobile Node's FQDN to the AAA server under the HA-AAA
> > server security association,
>

> $Rafa> MSA's AAA Server?? or MSP's AAA server??

To the MSA's AAA server through the MSP's AAA server. The MSA's AAA
server updates the MSA's DNS server.

> So far, these are my comments.

Thanks again,

--Gerardo