RE: [Mip6] Bootstrapping DT solution draft

Gerardo Giaretta <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM> Wed, 27 July 2005 09:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:55:16 +0200
From: Gerardo Giaretta <Gerardo.Giaretta@TILAB.COM>
Subject: RE: [Mip6] Bootstrapping DT solution draft
To: Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@dif.um.es>
Cc: mip6@ietf.org
Sender: mip6-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Rafa,

> >>Another related question is about authorization. Under my
> >>point of view
> >>, MSP's AAA server is the entity that finally takes
> decision about if
> >>the mobility service is authorized or not. MSA's AAA server
> could send
> >>to MSP's AAA some kind of evidences or attributes related with
> >>authenticated user.Following these attributes and internal policies
> >>MSP's AAA server takes a final decision.
> >>

> >I tend to agree. This is the reason why AAA server of the
> MSP should be
> >involved. I think that these issues should be covered by
> >draft-mip6-aaa-ha-goals.
> >
> <$rafa> Well... in the MIP6 bootstrapping draft , you mention
> that MSA
> is giving authorization.
> However if you agree that MSP can be involved in the
> authorization , I
> don't see why it should explained
> in draft-mip6-aaa-ha-goals.

MSA gives the authorization based on the user profile. This is the role
of the MSA. The AAA-MSP acts as a AAA proxy and, as for network access,
it can have an active role in this process. However, usually this is
based on roaming agreements between the providers.

> >>In particular , I was thinking a similar model than it is shown in
> >>Diameter EAP application I-D (Scenario 3: Direct EAP,
> >>authorization via
> >>agents).
> >>
> >>Note this dicussion could be also valid for other services
> >>(i.e. network
> >>access service).
> >>

> >I tend to agree also here. The MSP might need to add some
> authorization
> >AVPs.
> >
> <$Rafa> I agree that AVPs or specific information could be placed on
> draf-ietf-aaa-ha-goals but to say if MSP is involved in
> authorization or not
> could be said in bootstrapping solution I-D.

We may add some text in the draft to clarify the role of the AAA-MSP.
But I would keep the distinction between MSA and MSP with the MSA that
authorized MIPv6 service based on the user profile.

~snip~

> >><$Rafa> Here appears "MSA to grant the service" and in page
> >>10 section
> >>5.1.1
> >>"MSP granting the mobility service". Would it not be in the
> first case
> >>"MSP to grant the service" too?
> >>

> >Yes. What about the following text?
> >
> >"
> >Authentication and Authorization with MSA. The user must be
> >authenticated in order for the MSP to grant the service.
> Since the user
> >credentials can be verified only by the MSA, this
> authorization step is
> >performed by the MSA. Moreover, the mobility service must be
> explicitly
> >authorized by the MSA based on the user's profile. These
> operations are
> >performed in different ways depending on the credentials used by the
> >Mobile Node during the IKEv2 peer authentication and on the backend
> >infrastructure (PKI or AAA).
> >

> >"
> >

> <$Rafa> As you can see, this text still state MSA is explicitly doing
> the authorization and MSP is not involved.

MSA MUST explicitly do the authorization. MSP MAY be involved depending
on the scenario and the roaming agreements between the operators. Do you
agree on that?

> So I understand from this that MSP's AAA server is only doing routing.

In my view usually it performs only AAA routing since based on roaming
agreements the authorization is implicit.

> >>if the Home

> >><$Rafa> Why don't MSP's AAA server could do DNS update
> >>instead of MSA's
> >>AAA server??
> >>

> >It could. But I don't see a reason for that. Do you see any
> issue with
> >the current solution?
> >

> <%Rafa> if MSP provides the Home Agent , and Home Agent gives a Home
> Address... would not be more coherent that MSP's AAA server
> did this task?

It depends on the FQDN used by the MN. If the FQDN belongs to the MSA<
the MSA MUST do that since the MSP AAA server may not share a SA with
the DNS server of the MSA.

Regards,
--Gerardo