Re: [Mip6] Comments for draft-ietf-mip6-rfc4285bis-00.txt

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Mon, 24 September 2007 12:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:01:24 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <kchowdhury@starentnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [Mip6] Comments for draft-ietf-mip6-rfc4285bis-00.txt

Hi Kuntal,

Chowdhury, Kuntal wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> Sorry for the late follow-up on this. Please see inline...
>
> -Kuntal

I noticed that a couple of MUST, SHOULD and MAYs in the document need to
be capitalized.
I can spot them for you, if you want.

>> * Replay Protection: There is no mandatory to implement replay
>> protection technique. To me it seems that only the timestamp based
>> replay protection really seems to be usable when used in combination
>> with the AAA infrastructure.
>>

> [KC>] I am not sure why so. It is true that only timestamp based relay
> protection scheme is specified in the current version of the I-D, but
> that should not necessitate use of an AAA infrastructure!

There are two separate issues regarding replay protection here. First,
there is the replay protection between the HA and the MN and then there
is replay protection also needed between MN and AAAS. For the latter you
have to mandate the usage of timestamp based replay protection and
resynchronization in order to get a working system. So far, only
timestamp based replay protection is described for the interaction
between MN to AAAs (unless you consider the extensions in
draft-devarapalli-mip6-authprotocol-bootstrap-02.txt).

I can provide the text for you to make it clearer for you what I
actually mean.

> Anyway, please refer to Appendix A (Rationale for mobility message
> replay protection option) for further details on the reason for
> selecting timestamp based replay protection mode.

The appendix is fine with respect to the replay protection between MN
and HA.

Ciao
Hannes