RE: [Mipshop] Gauging interest in official WG adoption of internetdrafts

"Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com> Sun, 26 March 2006 03:02 UTC

Subject: RE: [Mipshop] Gauging interest in official WG adoption of internetdrafts
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:02:10 -0800
From: "Narayanan, Vidya" <vidyan@qualcomm.com>
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>, "Dondeti, Lakshminath" <ldondeti@qualcomm.com>
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org

Yoshi,
I don't think Sam's concern is AAA-assisted application keying in
general. If so, RFC 3957 and RFC 4004 (and other such RFCs) should never
have become RFCs. Also, if that argument in fact holds true, there
should be no place for Diameter SIP applications and the like.

Sam's concern is about using EAP-generated keying material for
applications, since it obviously crosses layers in a manner that EAP was
not intended for.

If you note, our draft is very much along the lines of MIP-AAA
interactions in Mobile IPv4. This is something that is standards track,
well understood and well proven.

As Lakshminath pointed out, appendix A is an example of using the
EAP-generated AMSK as the HMK - it was always intended to be a separate
I-D even if it was the right way to do it and hence will be removed from
the draft as the work progresses.

If more people actually think there is an issue here, I'd be happy to
run it by Sam and Russ. However, I strongly believe that this step is
not required at this time, since we have precedence with approved
standards track documents along very similar lines.

Thanks,
Vidya