[Mipshop] MIPSHOP Session II minutes

"Vijay Devarapalli" <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com> Thu, 07 December 2006 02:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:35:47 -0800
From: Vijay Devarapalli <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com>
To: mipshop@ietf.org
Subject: [Mipshop] MIPSHOP Session II minutes

Hello,

here are the draft minutes for Session II. please send
me any corrections/revisions.

Session II
----------
WEDNESDAY, November 8, 1300-1500

1. Agenda review, Blue sheets and volunteers for
   notes and Jabber                                       5 Mins

2. HMIP and FMIP Security Association
   Alper Yegin
   draft-yegin-hmip-sa-00                                10 Mins

   After EAP, NAS and MN share MSK
   HMIP-key derived from MSK
   SA distribution - on MAP side NAS will deliver the key to the
   MAP using the SA
      - IPsec PSK
      - rfc4285
   for non EAP-based architecture you need to identify an
   equivalent of the MSK
   same applies to FMIP

Lakshinath: NAS is an edge identity ....

(lost.... the minute taker was standing at the mike)

Vijay: this is different from what we have in MIPv6. I don't
see a real optimization because you just authenticate with
the MAP once

Alper: this is an optimization

Hesham: this can be better for FMIP because you don't want
to use IKEv2 with each AR. With HMIPv6 you can use EAPoIKEv2
and you handle change of MAP with overlapping MAPs. I don't
see a problem in re-using keys. To re-use MIPv6 work you
should do a pull model instead of push model

Alper: you can use this approach also in pull model
Hesham: you are assuming that the NAS understands and is
aware of the MAP. If the are multiple MAPs, the NAS must be
aware of the MAP the MN is going to choose

Ahmad: how the SPI is used? how is it communicated?
Alper: SPI=1 at initial EAP auth.

3. Mobility Independent Services: Problem Statement
   Telemaco Melia
   draft-melia-mipshop-mobility-services-ps-01.txt       15 Mins

   ps -00 version submitted at the beginning of Sep
   how to transport signaling messages for MIH
   appendix for different mobility services support
   comments to ID-00
      - make it shorter
      - make it 802.21 related but this may be in contrast
        with what already agreed in IETF #66
   version 01
      - removed appendix
      - more .21 specific
   three possible options
      - main body only (version 01)
      - main body plus all appendixes
      - main body plus one .21 specific appendix

Juan Carlos: some technical objections because the text has
some non .21 related aspects that are not useful. Supporting
James proposal

Telemaco: according to the charter we should stick to .21

Subir: we should stick to what .21 requests. One way is to
describe the general problem and then describe what is .21
but this may imply we don't have a clear understanding on
what we need to specify

Behcet: 01 seems to be good

Daniel: not sure which is the proble. In the draft you jump
to deployment scenarios and solutions
Telemaco: you need to transport mobility information from
the mobile to the network and vice versa

Daniel: it's not clear the gap analysis and why current
solutions cannot be used

Juan Carlos: the draft needs some improvements for people
that do not know .21

Stefano: please send detailed comments on the mailing list
on how to improve the document

Stefano: we would like to adopt the PS draft as WG item.
Is there any objection? (no objection) We'll ask the same
question on the mailing list

4. MIH design considerations
   Robert Hancock
   draft-hepworth-mipshop-mih-design-considerations-01   15 Mins

   DC draft to capture IETF expertise
   DC draft should help the design process
   draft stucture
   activity since 00 version
     - discussion about particular solutions characteristics
     - reflect the underlying issues in the DC draft
     - GIST presented for information at 802.21
   Problem Boundary Issues
   Routing and Discovery
   some major architectural options
     - full MN control
     - discovery details delegated to the nw
     - discovery of adjacent peer or full path

Jari: in the DHCP WG we discussed that DHCP has been approved
in .21
Robert: not approval status yet in IETF, nor in .21 draft
(where just L2 discovery is covered)

Vijay: a lot of discovery methos. are all these applicable?

Robert: some are inappropriate (e.g. DNS SRV). DHCP and mDNS
may have a role

Subir: in .21 draft, the discovery can be done also in DHCP.

?: there is another alternative to discover the IP address of
.21 peer and it's the .21 L2

Stefano: we can capture that L2 can be used but this is out
of the scope

Jari: not sure it is out of the scope. We should focus on the
problem definition in order to understand what is out of scope

Juan Carlos: about routing? is it IP routing?

Robert: it's signaling routing from one peer to another, not
IP routing

Alper: is this doc informative or normative? Requirements?

Stefano: informative

5. Mobile and Wireless Neighborhood Discovery using DHCP
   Alper Yegin
   draft-jang-mipshop-nhdisc-00.txt                       5 Mins

   DHCP for 802.21 IS (Alper)
   IS trasnport = DHCP
   IS client/server = DHCP client/server
   define new DHCP options
   where is the DHCP server?
     - by default in the serving network but it can be also
       in centralized location or in the home network or in the
       target nw
   you can rely also on the DHCP security
   this is configuration and DHCP is for that
   it's only for IS, not ES or CS

?: .21 provides three services. Do you think it would not be
better to have a common protocol for all three of them?

Alper: ES and CS might have a common protocol and there may be
link layer protocols

?: this is a problem statement document issue. Do we need to
handle IS only or also ES and CS?

Yoshi: in .21 no requirement to use a single transport for
all three services

Subir: requirement from .21 is for a transport protocol of MIH
and not for particular services. Are only configuration
information or more than that? I think that there are information
like cost that are not configuration

Alper: it's configuration/information

Subir: DHCP is for network parameters and not provider
information

Stefano: this is once again related to the PS and I hope Yoshi
or official LS can clarify that

6. Transport of Media Independent Handover Messages
   Over IP
   Akbar Rahman
   draft-rahman-mipshop-mih-transport-01.txt             10 Mins

Yoshi: what is the proxy?
Juan Carlos: we are not passing the information at the IP
layer all the way down. The Proxy just take out the information
and deliver to the MN using L2 .21 but we want to leave this
open for now

   DHCP to discover the Mobility Manager
   UDP as MIH transport between MN and MM
   IPsec for security

?: what defines the retransmission protocol?
Juan Carlos: .21 will do the retransmissions

Yoshi: it's not a proxy, it's a point of service because it's
terminating a transaction and creating a new one

John: people will put NATs wherever they want. With UDP you
will run in NAT problems. Now SIP is required to use TCP and
UDP is optional

Stefano: you assume that the sessions are initiated by the MN
but this may not be true for ES/CS. You are assuming the NATs
maintain the state for a long time and this is not true

Alex: if the MN must be reachable, then you need to solve the
NAT problem

?: it's not a session, it's an individual transaction

7. HMIPv6 Security Next Steps
   Chairs                                                15 Mins

   Proposal: use of EAPoIKEv2 is sufficient to progress
   HMIPv6 as a proposed standard

Vidya: I agree. Do we need a document for SPD entries like
rfc3776?
Vijay: we should be able to re-use what we have defined for
MIP6. Assumption is to point to that but we can

Jari: there is a need for some level of details. If this work
cannot use the MIP6 document, the doc has some problems

Alper: why we don't use rfc4285 in HMIPv6?
Jari: is anything that we need to do?
Alper: we should at least ack that it can be used

Jari: 4285 is not PS and we are doing PS

Vijay: This does not mean we drop all work on HMIPv6 security
WG needs to decide if we still want to do another separate
solution

James: I think it's sufficient EAPoIKEv2
Vidya: agree we don't need another option. If we look at
futuristic options, not sure mipshop is the right place to
do it

Vijay: We'll go with that assumption and we need to modify
the charter. Any objections?

8. Next Steps
   Chairs                                                15 Mins

   WGLC on rfc4068bis

Vidya: not sure it's ready for WGLC
James: there are still couple of issues in FMIP

   adopt draft-soliman-mipshop-4140bis-01 as WG item
   draft on CGA/CBA to IESG
   adopt draft-melia-mipshop as WG item
   DT to work on the solution

Jari: are you completing the PS draft before the DT?
Stefano: we would like to have a new revision before setting
up the DT