RE: [Mipshop] Re: NAT Traversal for GIST (was GIST 802.21)

"Robert Hancock" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Thu, 03 August 2006 21:43 UTC

From: Robert Hancock <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: 'Alexandru Petrescu' <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>, john.loughney@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] Re: NAT Traversal for GIST (was GIST 802.21)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:03:55 +0100
Cc: mipshop@ietf.org

hi alex,

same as the first ;-)
there is however also draft-pashalidis-nsis-gimps-nattraversal-03.txt
> draft-ietf-nsis-nslp-natfw-12.txt
>
> which one?

quick summary:
*) draft-ietf-nsis-nslp-natfw-12.txt
and
*) draft-werner-nsis-natfw-nslp-statemachine-03.txt
are actually about using NSIS to signal to NATs (and firewalls) to
control them. so it's not directly relevant to mipshop (just like
the QoS signalling work in NSIS is not directly relevant to NSIS).

the other two are
*) draft-pashalidis-nsis-gimps-nattraversal-03.txt
[GIST used to be called GIMPS, hence the name]
and
*) draft-pashalidis-nsis-gist-legacynats-00

these are about how to get GIST *through* NATs - the first covers
the case when you are allowed to modify the NAT, the second when
you have to work with a legacy NAT. Both of them cover the
path coupled case when you are signalling about a flow, which is
very complicated from the NAT traveral point of view because you
have to handle both addressing/port information about the flow, and
about the signalling nodes.

However
=======

before directly looking at these, there is a more fundamental question
about the MIH signalling requirements - namely, will the signalling
messages carry addressing payloads (IP addresses of neighbour ARs
for example, or of the MN). the right way to handle NAT traversal
for the signalling depends critically on the answer to that. there
is a little more discussion of that point in section 3.5 of the
design considerations draft
(draft-hepworth-mipshop-mih-design-considerations-00).

cheers,

robert h.