[Mipshop] Comments on drafts of hmip sa and hmipv6 security

"DENG, HUI -HCHBJ" <hdeng@hitachi.cn> Mon, 30 October 2006 05:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:30:08 +0800
From: "DENG, HUI -HCHBJ" <hdeng@hitachi.cn>
To: mipshop@ietf.org
Subject: [Mipshop] Comments on drafts of hmip sa and hmipv6 security

Hello,

After reading two drafts:
1) draft-yegin-hmip-sa-00.txt
2) draft-haddad-mipshop-hmipv6-security-06.txt
I would like to say sth here:

Since both two drafts talk about SA establishment between MN and MAP,
let's go to the definition of Security Association (SA) in RFC 2828.

<snip>
security association
      (I) A relationship established between two or more entities to
      enable them to protect data they exchange. The relationship is
      used to negotiate characteristics of protection mechanisms, but
      does not include the mechanisms themselves. (See: association.)

      (C) A security association describes how entities will use
      security services. The relationship is represented by a set of
      information that is shared between the entities and is agreed upon
      and considered a contract between them.

      (O) IPsec usage: A simplex (uni-directional) logical connection
      created for security purposes and implemented with either AH or
      ESP (but not both). The security services offered by a security
      association depend on the protocol selected, the IPsec mode
      (transport or tunnel), the endpoints, and the election of optional
      services within the protocol. A security association is identified
      by a triple consisting of (a) a destination IP address, (b) a
      protocol (AH or ESP) identifier, and (c) a Security Parameter
<snip>

draft-haddad-mipshop-hmipv6-security-06.txt does not mention
the cipher suite of the SA,

draft-yegin-hmip-sa-00.txt defined HMIP-SPI and increase by 1
per authentication, so how to get the common initial SPI which could
not be out of the scope of this draft.

Furthermore draft-yegin-hmip-sa-00.txt, whether we need dervie
hmip-key from MSK will be the question. isn't USRK better than MSK?

Regarding to security guarantee of HMIP, and if EAP is considered,
a full eap authentication procedure is not necessary each handover,
a handover key could be used to enhance this performance,
which has been described in our draft:
draft-deng-mipshop-hmip-hhokey-00.txt

Thanks for your comments,

-Hui
Disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail, and its attachments, if any, are confidential and may be protected
by law against any unauthorized use.  If you have received this e-mail by mistake or have
reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply
e-mail as soon as possible and delete it from your computer system immediately thereafter.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this e-mail or attachment or disclose
the contents to any other person.  While we have made every effort to keep our network virus free,
we take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.