Re: [mmox] MMOX Progress tracking (Jon Watte)

"Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com> Thu, 12 March 2009 15:33 UTC

From: "Meadhbh Hamrick (Infinity)" <infinity@lindenlab.com>
To: Charles Krinke <charles.krinke@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:33:37 -0700
Cc: mmox@ietf.org, zedmaster <zedmaster@zedrock.com>
Subject: Re: [mmox] MMOX Progress tracking (Jon Watte)

and just to add my $0.02...

* neither MXP nor HyperGrid have been submitted as drafts, but i know
the latter and have been told the former have seen extensive use in
some corners of the internet, so hopefully they'll be submitted as
drafts.

* HLA/DIS assume a level of coordination between participants that
does not match historic use examples for non-military systems. in
short, the "real world" appears to be ad hoc, and our objective is
less about building worlds communicating using HLA or IEEE-1278 and
more about giving existing worlds a fighting chance at ad hoc
communication. we're a long way off from "the" metaverse; a single
connected virtual world, and historically, attempts to define "the"
protocol for "the" metaverse have failed. one might argue this is why
you see WoW, SL, club penguin, etc. all use different protocols.

* so yes, the OGP collection of drafts are intended to be used in
"islands," as this appears to be the current use of virtual worlds.

* at the end of the day, however, there's NOTHING that prevents an
implementation from using LESS for server <-> server communication or
OGP or both.