RE: [SIP] draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com> Mon, 16 October 2000 15:54 UTC

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
To: 'Gonzalo Camarillo' <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>, "'Culpepper, Bert'" <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com>
Cc: 'Michael Thomas' <mat@cisco.com>, 'Rohan Mahy' <rohan@cisco.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, "'sip@lists.bell-labs.com'" <sip@lists.bell-labs.com>, 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, 'mmusic' <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: RE: [SIP] draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:50:11 -0400
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

I just thought of an issue with this approach that is worth considering.

The problem is that if A sends an INVITE to B, there cannot be more m lines
in the response from B that in the request from A. THis is needed to support
matching up of m lines. Now, lets say A is a PC, and it calls some user B
that needs to use one of these transcoders. In the 200 OK, B cannot add a
separate media stream for this codec. Rather, it will have to send a regular
200 OK, and then immediately re-invite to add a media stream for that
specific codec, and remove that codec from the original media stream. Kind
of ugly, and possibly might get you glitches in the beginning of lost media.

So, whilst I agree with the idea of what you are trying to do here (a
choose-one-of-M session feature), I am concerned about its general ability
to fit within the framework of SDP, which is widely recognized as limited
for such things.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com