RE: [SIP] draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt

"Culpepper, Bert" <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com> Thu, 12 October 2000 21:18 UTC

From: "Culpepper, Bert" <bert.culpepper@intervoice-brite.com>
To: Michael Thomas <mat@cisco.com>, Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
Cc: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, sip@lists.bell-labs.com, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, mmusic <confctrl@ISI.EDU>
Subject: RE: [SIP] draft-camarillo-sip-sdp-00.txt
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:08:27 -0500
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

Hi:

I've only followed this thread on the SIP list and read the recent
discussion on the AVT WG list,  I've probably missed some related discussion
in other WGs.  It appears to me, and as Gonzalo pointed out, separate RTP
streams are OK.  The session description below describes two RTP streams
with only one active at any point in time (I believe the semantics of the
fid attribute shown indicate that I can choose to send only one) vs. a
single RTP stream with either of two encoding schemes.  However, as a SIP UA
and having received that session description I know to send the two
encodings separately if I want to make the other endpoint happy.  (And only
one at a time if I support the fid attribute.)  It does seem reasonable that
it might complicate QoS, but I expect the benefit of the separate media
streams is justified when used.

Anyway, segregating media streams (where exact synchronization isn't needed
and RTP is good enough) enables certain efficiencies when providing
telecommunications and like services in an IP network.  This is only one
advantage I suspect.

Regards,
Bert