Re: [MMUSIC] Review of draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-32 - Magnus' comments - MID security

Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com> Fri, 07 October 2016 13:32 UTC

From: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 13:32:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [160.79.219.114]
Cc: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Review of draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-32 - Magnus' comments - MID security

On Oct 7, 2016, at 4:41 AM, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com<mailto:magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>> wrote:

Den 2016-10-06 kl. 23:59, skrev Cullen Jennings:

I'm not getting the problem here and mandating 6904 is not an easy
thing to do.

So, lets be clear on what I have proposed. For bundle in general it is RECOMMENDED to encrypt MIDs in RTP header extensions. I have also proposed that for RTCWeb implementation and use should be mandated. I was not clear in what applies when an WebRTC endpoint talks to a legacy endpoint what is expected here. I guess this is the thorny issue.

RFC 7904 (SDES header extensions) says:

   In RTP sessions where any type of confidentiality protection is
   enabled for RTCP, the SDES item header extensions MUST also be
   protected.  This implies that to provide confidentiality, users of
   the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) need to implement and
   use encrypted header extensions per [RFC6904<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6904>].

This was after a fair bit of back-and-forth with the security ADs.  MID is a 7904 header extension, so I don’t think BUNDLE can override this MUST.

I'm not getting what the issue is here. If mid are random, or are
just a count of n'th m-line in the sdp, what is the problem with
exposing them to people are getting the media?

The issue is that these identifiers are going from having only been visiable in the signalling messages to be visible also on the RTP media plane. And without RFC6904 even if one uses SRTP, these values are exposed. This have several different effects as I see it. So if the generation algorithm are not strictly defined, the implementation gets possible to fingerprint. In addition the device gets to be fingerprinted based on the number of streams offered and their identifiers. Thus, it is not only what is actually used that is exposed, but what was originally offered, i.e. the full offer leaks into unencrypted domain on the media plane. Note, this later can't be dealt with any mid id creation rules, it will still leak. Thus devices that have more exotic configurations when it comes to media streams, i.e. number of cameras etc this can still be fingerprinted by passive attacks from third parties.

It is the passive attack from third parties that has me worried here. A peer in the signalling has massively more powerful fingerprinting, but that requires one to be in the signalling context, not passively observe traffic that goes past.

Cheers

Magnus

On Oct 6, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Magnus Westerlund