Re: SCCP

Christoph Reichert <reichert@fokus.gmd.de> Thu, 12 October 2000 15:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:22:30 +0200
From: Christoph Reichert <reichert@fokus.gmd.de>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
Cc: Dirk.Trossen@nokia.com, cabo@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE, confctrl@ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: SCCP
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 02:57:13PM +0300, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> SIP is not meant for tightly-coupled sessions. However, there are some
> drafts that provide certain call control using SIP. For example these
> two:
>
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/draft-ietf-sip-cc-transfer-01.txt
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-3pcc-00.txt
>
> I assume that the difference between a protocol for tightly-coupled
> sessions such as SCCP and SIP with these call control extensions is that
> SCCP provides a much higher degree of control. Am I right?

No. The degree of control is not the topic.
The problem is a topological one.
SCCP is based on multicast because of the usual scaling issues, ie.
when central conference bridges or full meshes are no longer feasable.
Setting up trees or rings is possible, but hard, and have a great
overhead when changes in membership are frequent.

When application sessions are all multicast based, why should an associated
control session not also be multicast based? This would make much
things easier.

cheers, chris