RE: [MMUSIC] End of movie signalling

"Spiros Spirou" <spis@intracom.gr> Fri, 04 February 2005 07:29 UTC

From: Spiros Spirou <spis@intracom.gr>
To: Thomas Zeng <zeng@pvnetsolutions.com>, Joerg Ott <jo@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] End of movie signalling
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:21:19 +0100
Cc: IETF mmusic WG list <mmusic@ietf.org>
Sender: mmusic-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about that but I am trying to cover
cases where the server is not implementing RTCP as well (oh yes, these heathens
do exist). Anyway, the four reasons you are mentioning in Appendix A of
draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-announce-00.txt against the use of RTCP BYE as an
end-of-stream signaling mechanism are certainly valid in general.

I am oriented towards maintaining a presentation clock (npt) in the client for
detecting EOS locally in the case of RFC2326 servers. This has the added feature
of being able to display to the user the running play time, remaining time etc.
just like DVD players can. I could add support for
draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-announce-00.txt as it progresses in order to be forwards
compatible.

Spiros