RE: [MMUSIC] Accessibility related parametersindraft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-content-01.txt

"Gunnar Hellstrom" <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Wed, 22 February 2006 23:24 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: Arnoud van Wijk <degodefroi@gmail.com>, "'Jani Hautakorpi (JO/LMF)'" <jani.hautakorpi@ericsson.com>
Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] Accessibility related parametersindraft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-content-01.txt
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:24:06 +0100
Cc: Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com, mmusic@ietf.org

Jani,
OK, I understand. Your idea was to have the meaning of the values enough
described in the sdp-media-content specification.

Then we should add a few more words to explain suitable behaviour of a
client receiving the "txp" indicator.

I assume the most common case would be in connection with the m=text media
description.

I dislike to drag the variations of PSTN textphones into requirements on
variations in behaviour of SIP clients. But I cannot figure out how a SIP
client shall react on reception of the txp indication. The expected
variation is too wide with:
-half duplex or full duplex or interruptable half duplex,
-split window or common window,
-simultaneous voice and text or alternating voice and text,
-national character set or further limited or Unicode
-4 or 6 or 10 or 30 or 120 characters per second.

It is tempting to ask for a subparameter for the type of textphone that is
commected beyond the gateway.
One architecturally ugly way to do it would be to ask gateway implementors
to generate a
RFC 2833bisdata event in an audio channel giving information on the type of
textphone in contact, and the application would then have knowledge about
what characteristics to use towards them.
See section 2.7.1 in:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bisdata-06.txt

We could make it easy for us and just specify : "txp" indicates that the
other party has a textphone, and that the user should be made aware that
presentation and communication restrictions may apply.

So, the phrase in section 5 deascribing txp could be extended to end like
this:

	Typical use case
      for this is e.g., a connection where one endpoint is an analog
      textphone, and the other one is a native IP based text telephone.
	The user should be made aware that presentation and communication
	limitations exist.

?

Gunnar

-