Re: [MMUSIC] The 3D drafts

Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com> Sat, 25 February 2012 00:33 UTC

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 00:32:40 +0000
From: Bert Greevenbosch <Bert.Greevenbosch@huawei.com>
To: Pedro Capelastegui <capelastegui@dit.upm.es>, 'IETF - MMUSIC' <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] The 3D drafts

Hi Pedro,

As promised, here the answer to your second e-mail.

The current simulcast solution in the draft indeed assumes a single codec, which internally contains both a 2D and an auxiliary stream.

But my understanding is that your main concern is the simulcast of two streams (2D and aux), with different codecs. Your proposed solution would indeed resolve that problem.

Now that we have the discussions on RTP multiplexing, especially the "BUNDLE" draft (http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-holmberg-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation), I was wondering whether we could somehow use that mechanism to resolve the problem. In that case, your original example

             m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 99 100
             a=3dFormat:2DA CD
             a=rtpmap:99 H264/90000
             a=3daux: 99 H263/90000 aux-fmtp:(...)
             a=rtpmap:100 H264/90000
             a=3daux: 100 H264/90000 aux-fmtp:(...)

would become as follows:

             a=group:3DS 1 2
             a=group:BUNDLE 1 2
             m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 99
             a=rtpmap:99 H264/90000
             a=3dFormat:SC C
             a=mid:1
             m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 100
             a=rtpmap:100 H263/90000
             a=3dFormat:SC D
             a=mid:2
             a=group:3DS 3 4
             a=group:BUNDLE 3 4
             m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 99
             a=rtpmap:99 H264/90000
             a=3dFormat:SC C
             a=mid:3
             m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 100
             a=rtpmap:100 H264/90000
             a=3dFormat:SC D
             a=mid:4

This means, that we use the separate streams mechanism + the "BUNDLE" mechanism to achieve our goal. It this is maybe a bit premature, as the "BUNDLE" draft is only a personal draft, but it seems to work and we would not need an extra mechanism in the 3D format draft.

Admittedly, this solution also looks complex, especially because of the double grouping mechanism. However, it would not require to define a new "3daux" attribute and "aux-fmtp" semantics.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Bert