Re: [MMUSIC] draft-ejzak-mmusic-data-channel-sdpneg and draft-ejzak-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel

Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com> Wed, 12 November 2014 03:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:17:42 +1100
From: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com>
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] draft-ejzak-mmusic-data-channel-sdpneg and draft-ejzak-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel

Hello

I had a chance to look over the latest draft in more details. Some
comments/questions:

5.1.1.1: To enforce the text about dcmap-opt the ABNF could be updated:
    dcmap-opt       = ordering-opt / subprotocol-opt / label-opt
                      / ( maxretr-opt / maxtime-opt )

5.1.1.3: I think you can remove the "action item".
draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol indicates "The protocol field is to ease
cross-application interoperation("federation") by identifying the user
data being passed with an IANA-registered string ('WebSocket Subprotocol
Name Registry' defined in [RFC6455]). I wouldn't see the out of band
method using a different registry.

5.1.1.4. max-retr parameter: This draft seems to use the absence of the
"max-retr" parameter to indicate the use of a reliable channel It also
indicates a default value of "unbounded".
draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol indicates "For reliable Data Channels
this field MUST be set to 0 on the sending side and MUST be ignored on
the receiving side."
To better align with the data channel protocol i'd suggest changing the
of 5.1.1.4 to indicate that "The max-retr parameter is optional with the
default value equal to 0 indicating that no retramsmission is used.

Also is the term "unreliable" appropriate given that the data channel
protocol talks about "partial reliability"?

5.1.1.5 similar to 5.1.1.4 I think it would be better to talk about
specific behaviour when the parameter is omitted rather than saying
"unbounded".

6. Example: In the examples a=dcmap:0 subprotocol="BFCP";label="BGCP"
lines. Is the B<G>CP for the label intentional?

Regards, Christian