Re: [MMUSIC] draft-ejzak-mmusic-data-channel-sdpneg and draft-ejzak-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel

Juergen Stoetzer-Bradler <Juergen.Stoetzer-Bradler@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 12 November 2014 19:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 20:09:00 +0100
From: Juergen Stoetzer-Bradler <Juergen.Stoetzer-Bradler@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] draft-ejzak-mmusic-data-channel-sdpneg and draft-ejzak-mmusic-msrp-usage-data-channel

Hello Christian,

Thank you for your comments.
Please see my remarks inserted below.

Thanks,
Juergen

On 12.11.2014 04:17, Christian Groves wrote:
> Hello
>
> I had a chance to look over the latest draft in more details. Some comments/questions:
>
> 5.1.1.1: To enforce the text about dcmap-opt the ABNF could be updated:
>    dcmap-opt       = ordering-opt / subprotocol-opt / label-opt
>                      / ( maxretr-opt / maxtime-opt )

[Juergen] Actually, I am not sure if this would formally prevent maxretr-opt and maxtime-opt  from
both being present simultaneously, as we would still have
     dcmap-value = dcmap-stream-id [ SP dcmap-opt *(";" dcmap-opt) ]
(allowing an arbitrary number of "dcmap-opt").
My understanding of RFC 5234's definition of "alternation" has so far been that
      dcmap-opt = ordering-opt / subprotocol-opt / label-opt / maxretr-opt / maxtime-opt
and
     dcmap-opt = ordering-opt / subprotocol-opt / label-opt / ( maxretr-opt / maxtime-opt )
are actually equivalent.
Right now don't see a "compact" way of strengthening the actual ABNF rules without having to list
all possible parameter combinations and permutations.

> 5.1.1.3: I think you can remove the "action item". draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol indicates "The
> protocol field is to ease cross-application interoperation("federation") by identifying the user
> data being passed with an IANA-registered string ('WebSocket Subprotocol Name Registry' defined in
> [RFC6455]). I wouldn't see the out of band method using a different registry.

[Juergen] Agree.

> 5.1.1.4. max-retr parameter: This draft seems to use the absence of the "max-retr" parameter to
> indicate the use of a reliable channel It also indicates a default value of "unbounded".
> draft-ietf-rtcweb-data-protocol indicates "For reliable Data Channels this field MUST be set to 0
> on the sending side and MUST be ignored on the receiving side."
> To better align with the data channel protocol i'd suggest changing the of 5.1.1.4 to indicate
> that "The max-retr parameter is optional with the default value equal to 0 indicating that no
> retramsmission is used.

[Juergen] Our current intention is that the absence of "max-retr" and "max-time" in the a=dcmap
attribute value would indicate a reliable data channel, similar as channel types
"DATA_CHANNEL_RELIABLE" and "DATA_CHANNEL_RELIABLE_UNORDERED" in DCEP's DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN message.
And that "max-retr=0" would actually indicate a partial reliable data channel with the maximal
number of retransmissions set to zero (similar to DATA_CHANNEL_PARTIAL_RELIABLE_REXMIT(_UNORDERED)
and "Reliability Parameter" = 0 in the DATA_CHANNEL_OPEN message).
If we kept this semantic of "max-retr=0", then a default value equal to 0 would result in an a=dcmap
attribute without "max-retr" parameter actually indicating a correspondingly partial reliable data
channel, such that then the data channel would actually not be reliable as far as I understand.

> Also is the term "unreliable" appropriate given that the data channel protocol talks about
> "partial reliability"?

[Juergen] Agree. We should replace "unreliable" with "partially reliable" throughout the document.

> 5.1.1.5 similar to 5.1.1.4 I think it would be better to talk about specific behaviour when the
> parameter is omitted rather than saying "unbounded".

[Juergen] Agree. We should make this case more explicit and e.g. refer to RFC 4960 and say:
"The max-time parameter is optional. If the max-time parameter is not present, then the generic SCTP
retransmission timing rules apply as specified in [RFC 4960]."

Similarly in 5.1.1.4; there we could e.g. say:
"The max-retr parameter is optional. If the max-retr parameter is not present, then the maximal
number of retransmissions is determined as per the generic SCTP retransmission rules as specified in
[RFC 4960]."

Would you agree to this?

> 6. Example: In the examples a=dcmap:0 subprotocol="BFCP";label="BGCP" lines. Is the B<G>CP for the
> label intentional?

[Juergen] That's a typo. Should have been 'label="BFCP"'. We'll correct this.