Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-holmberg-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-00

Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Thu, 17 November 2011 08:34 UTC

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:34:28 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-holmberg-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation@tools.ietf.org" <draft-holmberg-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation@tools.ietf.org>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on draft-holmberg-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-00

Hi,

>>> I agree, and that for sure is something we will have to work with before the spec is published as RFC. Section 6.4 (and 7.2) is intended to
>>> cover such text (there is already some text about the b= parameter, but more will be needed).
>>
>> However, I hope that not having all those details ready available at this point is a show stopper for starting the work.
>
> Agreed, however it may affect the nature of the solution and hence it
> would be good to understand more details around this before deciding
> which way to go. Taking capability negotiation as an alternative for
> example, you there have an explicit negotiation framework that could
> make it very explicit as to what you actually want to do depending on
> whether you end up doing the bundle or not in a given negotiation.
> The approach outlined here seems less clear (for the moment at least) and will
> require a bunch of new rules that may or may not generalize well
> among existing and future SDP extensions.

In my personal opinion (but, the WG of course decides :) I think it is quite clear and straight forward, and I don't see any major issues - eventhough I do agree that there are a number of things we need to specify.

I do realize that there might be cases where an answerer, that does not support BUNDLE, will not accept an offer with identical port numbers. But, I have never seen such entity, and nobody has informed about such entities. That of course doesn't mean they don't exist, but my view is that it's not a big real-life problem.

Also, could you explain to me how all this would look using CapNeg, and how you would avoid the issues you've raised with BUNDLE?

Regards,

Christer