Re: [MMUSIC] Do We Need an ICE Alternative ?

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 16 November 2011 02:57 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 03:57:21 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Do We Need an ICE Alternative ?

Hi,

My understanding of previous discussion.

During IETF77 we discussed both the altc draft (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-mmusic-altc-03) and the alternative ICE-microlite draft (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hutton-mmusic-icemicrolite-02).

The conclusion of this discussion was that there was no way forward for either of these drafts as stated in the minutes of this meeting (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/77/minutes/mmusic.html).

However I notice that draft-boucadair-mmusic-altc continues to be updated although there has been no discussion or even notification of updates on the MMUSIC list.

Therefore I would like to know what is the current status and intention regarding the altc draft?

During IETF80 draft http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elwell-mmusic-ice-updated-offer-01 was presented with the intention of starting a discussion on some of the barriers to deploying ICE. The feedback we obtained was that the requirement for an updated offer in ICE was not really that strict, even though it is mandatory in the draft, and implementations are not always implementing this anyway.  The conclusion I understood was to continue to document and discuss the problems and if necessary if there are enough issues raised update ICE.

Regards
Andy