RE: Question on ATM SDP draft

Rajesh Kumar <rkumar@cisco.com> Wed, 11 October 2000 01:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:11:27 -0700
To: Sophia Scoggins <scoggins@nortelnetworks.com>, Mark Watson <mwatson@nortelnetworks.com>, "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>, "'atmsdp@eng.fore.com'" <atmsdp@eng.fore.com>
From: Rajesh Kumar <rkumar@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: Question on ATM SDP draft
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

Sophia and Mark,
Since H.248 allows the use of the CHOOSE wildcard ("$") for all parameters,
presumably it allows it for the <network type>. I haven't written that up in
the ATM SDP draft because it is one level above the draft. In the context of
the ATM SDP draft, <network type> is always ATM. However, I can add <network
type> = "$" as a permissible syntax.

Regarding the consistency of <network type>, <ATMaddressType> and <ATMaddress>,
I agree with Sophia. These need to  be consistent, and there is no point in
wildcarding <network type> if you know, for example, that <ATMaddressType> =
NSAP. Naren's ABNF, modified in Section 10 of the ATM SDP draft, will not allow
inconsistent <ATMaddressType> and <ATMaddress>. Some higher-level document,
such
as the Megaco documents, should capture the need of the <network type> being
consistent with the rest of the SDP (perhaps, SDP consistency is an axiomatic
requirement)!

So in other words, I can add something about <network type> = "$".  I will not
make it illegal if other parameters such as address type = NSAP are specified,
only a caveat that the freedom implied by "$" is meant to be restricted by the
values of other parameters in the same SDP descriptor. I will also allow
<network type> = "-", with a statement that

c=- NSAP <address>

is more appropriate than

c=$ NSAP <address>

because, "-" means "I don't care, but choose wisely" and "$" means "choose any
darn value you want".

My concern is that by specifying wildcarding rules for <network type> I am
overstepping the boundaries of an "ATM" SDP draft.

Comments?

Rajesh Kumar