RE: Question on ATM SDP draft

"Sophia Scoggins" <scoggins@nortelnetworks.com> Mon, 09 October 2000 14:09 UTC

From: Sophia Scoggins <scoggins@nortelnetworks.com>
To: Mark Watson <mwatson@nortelnetworks.com>, "'confctrl@ISI.EDU'" <confctrl@ISI.EDU>, "'atmsdp@eng.fore.com'" <atmsdp@eng.fore.com>
Subject: RE: Question on ATM SDP draft
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:04:47 -0400
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

The "c=" line is hierarchical. It would be better to have the address type
based on the network type and the address format depends on the address
type. For example, "network type = IN'" will only have the "address type =
IP4 or IP6", while "network type = ATM" has several address types that are
not applicable to IN. In the case that many layer 2 (such as ATM and FR)
networks can have NSAP, their address formats are not the same. I worked on
FR several years ago. Don't remember the exact FR address format (left that
at home), but the FR address format is different from the ATM's. So, if a
MGC or MG does not know the network type, it should not provide address type
or address.

What is the advantage of providing network address type and address while
don't know the network type? If the MGC or MG does not know the network
type, then it should not have the address type or address.

Regards, Sophia