Re: [MMUSIC] Streaming media

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se> Mon, 16 December 2002 14:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:01:51 +0200
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
To: Jose Rey <rey@panasonic.de>
CC: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>, "Janne Suotula (LMF)" <Janne.Suotula@lmf.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Streaming media
Sender: mmusic-admin@ietf.org

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the link.

I was after something similar, although not that precise. That is, I
wanted the server to say "this is streaming media, it is safe to
implement large buffers", rather than "you should implement a buffer of
10 seconds for this stream". But anyway, the idea is interesting.

However, it seems to me that rtx-time is only defined to work within
your retransmission framework. It might have been nice to have a general
parameter (although I would need to think about it more carefully).

A comment on the draft. You use the apt= parameter to reference the
original stream in the SDP description of the stream carrying
retransmissions. What you are doing is basically grouping two media
lines. I do not know the status of this draft (I suspect that it may
already be in IETF LC), but using the SDP grouping framework would have
been a good idea.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-fid-06.txt

Thanks for the reference,

Gonzalo