Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt

Dirk Kutscher <dku@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE> Sat, 10 March 2001 21:21 UTC

To: Heil Franca Marcelo ICM N MC MI E 73 <Marcelo.HeilFranca@icn.siemens.de>
Cc: "'cabo@tzi.org'" <cabo@tzi.org>, confctrl@ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt
From: Dirk Kutscher <dku@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:21:40 +0100
Sender: owner-confctrl@zephyr.isi.edu

    Marcelo> Carsten, I see SCCP as an interesting option for
    Marcelo> tighly-coupled conference control in the context of the
    Marcelo> internet multimedia conference architecture and would
    Marcelo> like to support it. Could you please give me some
    Marcelo> background information on the history of SCCP?

    Marcelo> There seems to be no specific statement to it in the
    Marcelo> MMUSIC WG charter and I have not seen any directly
    Marcelo> related discussions in the mailing list in the past
    Marcelo> weeks. Also the recently expired
    Marcelo> draft-ietf-mmusic-confarch-03.txt makes references to a
    Marcelo> SCCP internet-draft from 1996(!).

Marcelo,

right, draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-00.txt has been submitted some years
ago. The motivation for re-submitting it is to re-initiate the
discussion on the subject (if there is any interest) and, first of
all, to define the required services for a conference course control
protocol.

The current version of the draft merely specifies services. We did not
advance the original protocol spec. because we thought that the
required features might be different than 5 years ago, now that
significant experiences with conference announcement, conference
initiation, local coordination, media transport and reliable multicast
have been gained.

For example, the SIP conferencing ideas that are emerging now should
probably be considered for the specification of a conference control
protocol.

--
	Dirk