[Mobopts] Re: [Mip6] Delay Analysis for Handoffs with Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization

Thomas C Schmidt <schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de> Sun, 15 January 2006 18:59 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:44:05 +0100
From: Thomas C Schmidt <schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de>
To: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>
Cc: Mip6 <mip6@ietf.org>, mipshop <mipshop@ietf.org>, mobopts <mobopts@irtf.org>
Subject: [Mobopts] Re: [Mip6] Delay Analysis for Handoffs with Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization
Sender: mobopts-bounces@irtf.org

Dear Christian,

thanks for bringing your technical report to our attention!

For a comment: it is our experience that the optimistic concept of zero
handover delay due to predictive procedures does not survive reality.

This is mainly due to

   - the independence of anticipation, signaling and handoff in
     occurrence and timescale.

   - predictions turning out as rather unreliable.

We analysed these properties for the case of FMIPv6 (which should be
transferable in major parts, e.g., fmip needs fback, you need BU to
arrive ...) and found no significant improvement by predicitions (see
bib-reference attached).

Song et al. ([11] in our references) made empirical studies on
predicitions including the campus geometry, statistical correlation
analysis of user date ... and arrived at dissapointing 72 %.

It's a nice vision - but sometimes real-world isn't as nice ;)

Best regards,

thomas