[Mobopts] Re: [Mip6] Delay Analysis for Handoffs with Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization

Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de> Sun, 15 January 2006 15:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:40:23 +0100
From: Christian Vogt <chvogt@tm.uka.de>
To: schmidt@fhtw-berlin.de
Cc: Mip6 <mip6@ietf.org>, Mipshop <mipshop@ietf.org>, Mobopts <mobopts@irtf.org>
Subject: [Mobopts] Re: [Mip6] Delay Analysis for Handoffs with Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization
Sender: mobopts-bounces@irtf.org

> We analysed these properties for the case of FMIPv6 (which should be
> transferable in major parts, e.g., fmip needs fback, you need BU to
> arrive ...) and found no significant improvement by predicitions (see
> bib-reference attached).

Thomas,

thanks for bringing this up.

While your results [1] on FMIPv6 and HMIPv6 shed light on the
performance of proactivity in combination with local mobility
optimizations and are as such undoubtedly very important, I do not
necessarily consent with your statement that those results can be
conveyed to the end-to-end mobility management that we have been
analyzing [2].

During an end-to-end Mobile IPv6 handoff, communications are delayed for
at least a global RTT between the MN and the CN (assuming that
end-to-end optimizations such as EBU and CBA are deployed).  This
minimum delay can basically be eliminated in two ways:

- Proactivity, i.e., send a BU from the old location and move to the new
location only when packets can expected to have arrived there.

- Local mobility optimizations such as FMIPv6 and HMIPv6, which either
eliminate global signaling (HMIPv6), or move it off the critical
blackout period (FMIPv6).

Your work [1] deals with the second option, our's [2] deals with the first.

To be more explicit, let's assume we use FMIPv6.  All global signaling
is then deferred until the MN has already resumed communications, from
the new link, through the AR-to-AR tunnel.  This is true for both
proactive and reactive FMIPv6 modes.  What *FMIPv6 proactivity* saves
you is just an FBU's propagation time from the new AR to the old AR.
Compare this to the global RTT that *end-to-end proacitvity* potentially
saves you.

Referring to the problems with predictive handoff procedures that you
mention:  You are correct, and section 7.1 in our analysis duely
discusses this.  As far as unreliability in predictions goes:
Unfortunately, you are right, but that's a different construction site. ;)

Regards,
- Christian

[1] http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt/papers/telesys05.pdf
[2]
http://doc.tm.uka.de/2006/vogt-2006-delay-analysis-for-reactive-and-proactive-handoffs.pdf

--
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/