Re: FW: [Monami6] FW: I-DACTION:draft-hong-multipleif-mn-pb-statement-00.txt

Thierry Ernst <ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Wed, 26 October 2005 09:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:50:56 +0900
From: Thierry Ernst <ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: Monami6 WG <monami6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: FW: [Monami6] FW: I-DACTION:draft-hong-multipleif-mn-pb-statement-00.txt
Cc: khj@etri.re.kr
Sender: monami6-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

Comments inline, but first, I would like to point out that a new version
of draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement (i.e. -05) has been
sent Monday, but not yet announced (we hope it to be renamed to
draft-montavont-monami6-multihoming-pb-statement)

Here is the link:
http://www.nautilus6.org/doc/drafts/draft-montavont-monami6-multihoming-pb-statement-05.txt
http://www.nautilus6.org/doc/drafts/draft-montavont-monami6-multihoming-pb-statement-05.html

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:23:17 +0900
"Yong-Geun Hong" <yghong@etri.re.kr> wrote:
> I was asked to send the review and difference between
> draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-04.txt and
> my draft by Nicolas.
>
> I think that the draft
> draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-04.txt
> is a good draft which describes the requirements from the point of
> view of multihomed mobile nodes operating Mobile IPv6 and defines some
> issues. We also learn many things in this draft.

Thanks.

> But, when we were implementing a multiple interfaces mobile
> node(mobile router),
> we thought that the draft do not perfectly handle the problems of
> multiple interfaces
> of a mobile node.

Well, I have to admit our draft is not perfect and that it will deserve
more work. Any specific suggestions on how to improve it will be
welcome.

> I summarize the parts related to the issues of multiple interfaces in
> a mobile node
> within the draft
> (draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-04.txt)

> 1. Section 3. Requirements
>     3th paragraph [page 8] :
>
>    Basically, Internet connectivity is guaranteed for a MN as long as
>    at least one path is maintained between the MN and the fixed
>    Internet. In some cases, it may be necessary to divert packets from
>    a (perhaps failed) path to an alternative (perhaps newly
>    established) path (e.g. for matters of fault recovery,
>    preferences), or to split traffic between multiple paths (e.g. for
>    load sharing, load balancing).  The use of an alternative path must
>    be transparent at layers above layer 3 if broken sessions and the
>    establishment of new transport sessions has to be avoided.
>
> 2. Section 3. Requirements
>     Last paragraph [page 9] :
>
>   One has to consider whether these goals can be achieved with
>    transparency or without transparency.  Transparency is achieved
>    when switching between interfaces does not cause the disruption of
>    on- going sessions.  To be achieved with transparency, a necessary
>    (may or may not be sufficient) condition is for the end-point
>    addresses to remain unchanged.  This is in-view of the large amount
>    of Internet traffic today are carried by TCP, which unlike SCTP,
>    cannot handle multiple end-point address pairs.
>
> 3. Section 5.6 (n, 1, n) : n ifaces, 1, HoA, n CoAs
>
> 4. Section 6.1.3 Media Detection
>
> 5. Section 7.3 Flow redirection

> In my draft, I describe some practical problems.
>
> 1. Mobile IPv6-specific Issues
>  : When a mobile node has multiple interfaces, it must have the
>  ability to
> look at
>   all RA messages from multiple network interfaces to determine
>   network
> movement.

The problem you describe in your draft is an implementation specific
issue, as pointed out by Romain Kuntz.

In draft-montavont, we have a section "considerations for MIP6
implementation". So, at best some text could be added there.

> 2. General network Issues
>  : The mobile node also must update the relation between a destination
> address and
>   a network interface when it changes a network interface.

The problem yoiu describe in your draft is related,  when considering a
mobile node, to  the HoA address, and you ranged it into a "generic
issue" because it can apply to a fixed node with multiple interfaces,
right?  I think this is a problem in which SHIM6 is qualified (how
to change the locator, but not the identifier).

I agree that our text in draft-montavont should be improved in a fashion
similar to draft-ietf-nemo-multihoming-issues where such issues are
well described.

> 3. Considerations for Heterogeneous Environments
>  : For the mobile node in IPv4 based network
>
> Although the
> draft(draft-montavont-mobileip-multihoming-pb-statement-04.txt) covers
> the multihoming issues including multiple interfaces node, my draft is
> more focusing on
> multiple interfaces node.

The concern described in your draft is valid and is addressed
in draft-ietf-mip6-nemo-v4traversal-00.txt.

Note that I do not consider it has a multihoming issues at all: it is
right that nodes equipped with multiple interfaces may be more concerned
with this issue, but this could also happen for a node with a single
interface (for instance, a node with a WI-FI interface roaming between
an IPv6 wireless LAN and an IPv4 wireless LAN. We already came across
this problem.

> We think that it is better to make another document for considering
> multiple interface node.
> The problem of multiple interfaces is not only in network layer or
> Mobile IPv6 (NEMO) but also
> in below layer (layer 2). Like Link-layer Event Notification in DNA
> WG, it is better to consider
> link-layer to make perfect monami6 solutions.

Actually, I kind of agree that more text could be useful in
draft-montavont., in the same fashion as in
draft-ietf-nemo-multihoming-issues under the issue "Media Detection".
However, I think we disagree on the classification as I wouldn't
consider it as a MIP6-specific issue.

Thierry.