Re: [Monami6] MCoA draft

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Wed, 12 April 2006 08:30 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] MCoA draft
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:30:42 +0300
To: Monami6 WG <monami6@ietf.org>

Hi,

I must say that i fully agree with Chan-Wah here...

El 12/04/2006, a las 9:05, Nicolas Montavont escribió:

> Hi,
>
> On Apr 12, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Chan-Wah Ng wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 17:11 +0200, Nicolas Montavont wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> According to the discussion at Vancounver and Dallas, we think that
>>> we
>>> reached a rough consensus to accept
>>
>> Really?  Unless you call a ratio of less than 3 (for) : 1 (against) a
>> "rough consensus" (which was what I counted in Dallas).
>
> Most of people were for the adoption of the document as a WG document,
> including AD and chair of other WG.
>
> The few people who were against failed to show major concerns (some
> issues are still unresolved of course, but this can be dealt while the
> document is a WG document.

that is not what i recall from the meeting.

imho there was not clear rough consensus in the dallas meeting

however, the decision must be taken on the list i guess

>>> Multiple Care-of addresses registration
>>> draft-wakikawa-mobileip-multiplecoa-05
>>>
>>> as a WG document for the 3rd deliverable:
>>>
>>>    - A protocol extension to Mobile IPv6 (RFC 3775) and NEMO Basic
>>> Support (RFC 3963) to support the registration of multiple Care-of
>>> Addresses at a given Home Agent address [Standard Track].
>>>
>>> The document has been improved between the 2 IETF meetings in a way
>>> that
>>> we think meets the request of the WG members as expressed at
>>> Vancouver.
>>
>> Again, as mentioned in ML: I see at least two unresolved issues:
>>
>> - Bulk Registrations.
>> - Simultaneously at home and foreign.
>
> Sure, but we didn't say that the document is ready for the IESG.

but there was a consensus call in the ml sent by Thierry and people
brought up those issues as problems in order to accept this  draft as
wg item (not in order to sent it to the IESG).

this, as i understand it, means that there is no consensus to accept
this document as a wg item until there is not a clear agreement in
these issues

in particular, i am concerned about the bulk registration issue. imho
this is a major issue, because it is not obvious to me that the current
draft can be extended to support bulk registration cleanly. I would
like to understand if we think that bulk registration is needed, and if
it is, how can be fitted into the mcoa draft neatly, without being
caught in a draft that doesn't naturally includes such feature. That is
why i think more analysis is needed in this point.

>> Having said all that, I am not against moving the draft to WG draft.
>> In
>> fact, changing it to WG draft would force us to maintain an issue
>> list,
>> then we will truly know how many issues there are.
>
> That's exactly our point, we believe that it is the best way to work
> on the document.

probably, but the point is that there is no consensus to work on this
document yet since there is no consensus to accept it as a wg item
(yet)

regards, marcelo