Re: [mpls-tp] New I-D desccribing how the IETF will review MPLS-TP Recommendations

Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com> Sun, 17 January 2010 10:03 UTC

From: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
To: Adrian Farrel <Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 12:03:29 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] New I-D desccribing how the IETF will review MPLS-TP Recommendations

Adrian,
My understanding of the outcome of the  JWT work has been that:
1. MPLS-TP will be developed by the IETF in accordance with ITU-T requirements
2. These requirements as well as specific MPLS-TP solutions will be eventually documented as RFCs
3. IETF will liaison I-Ds dealing with MPLS-TP to ITU-T and process their input at all the phases of its process
4. As a consequence, ITU-T will not develop any Recommendations pertaining to MPLS-TP.

Looks like this is not what is going to happen, in particular, ITU-T will develop Recommendations dealing with MPLS-TP.
Could you please explain how did this happen?

My personal experience of processing the same set of original concepts in multiple SDOs proves that this results in
a very messy situation with lots of minor discrepancies between the approved documents and confusion.
(I refer to the process of standardization of TDM PWs which resulted in 4 slightly different documents, approved accordingly
by IETF (RFC 4553, 5086 and 5087), ITU-T (Y.1413 and Y.1453), MEF (MEF-8) and BBF (MFA 4.1and MFA 8.0.0.
Tracing the differences between those (mainly the IETF and ITU-T versions can be traced on the PWE3 mailing list even now.)

Do we really need to do all that again, only on a much larger scale? (And yes, I know that it is good for job security:-)

Regards,
     Sasha

mendation-review-00.txt