Re: [mpls-tp] New I-D desccribing how the IETF will reviewMPLS-TP Recommendations

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Sun, 17 January 2010 13:36 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:35:49 -0000
Cc: mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] New I-D desccribing how the IETF will reviewMPLS-TP Recommendations

Hi Sasha,

I think you are wrong on your fourth point.

RFC 5317 says (section 2)...

   The JWT recommended that future work should focus on:

   In the IETF:

      Definition of the MPLS "Transport Profile" (MPLS-TP).

   In the ITU-T:

      Integration of MPLS-TP into the transport network,

      Alignment of the current T-MPLS ITU-T Recommendations with MPLS-TP
      and,

      Termination of the work on current T-MPLS.

The first two of these ITU-T bullets require work on ITU-T Recommendations.
And later in Section 2 we also have:

   It proposed that the ITU-T should:

      Develop ITU-T Recommendations to allow MPLS-TP to be integrated
      with current transport equipment and networks, including in
      agreement with the IETF, the definition of any ITU-T-specific
      functionality within the MPLS-TP architecture via the MPLS change
      process [RFC4929],

      Revise existing ITU-T Recommendations to align with MPLS-TP,

      ITU-T Recommendations will make normative references to the
      appropriate RFCs.

So I think it is clear that the ITU-T will develop Recommendations on
MPLS-TP.

BUT, as it says in the Abstract of
draft-farrel-mpls-tp-recommendation-review-00.txt

   Those Recommendations will not define any aspects
   of MPLS-TP protocols or procedure because that work is reserved for
   the IETF as the design authority for MPLS-TP.

So you are right on your general point. There is NO INTENTION to develop any
part of the technical solution for MPLS-TP outside the IETF. However, there
is intention to document MPLS-TP within the ITU-T to:
- deprecate the T-MPLS Recommendations
- express MPLS-TP within the ITU-T architecture
- cover aspects of MPLS-TP that would normally be out of IETF scope (such as
equipment specifications)

To reiterate: in all those cases, the Recommendations will:
- reference RFCs not write/rewrite normative technical text
- not define any new protocols or procedures for MPLS-TP
- be subject to review and agreement by the IETF

Hope this helps,
Adrian