Re: [mpls-tp] Questions on the MPLS-TP CV drafts

Masahiko Mizutani <masahiko.mizutani.ew@hitachi.com> Mon, 13 July 2009 01:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:22:46 +0900
From: Masahiko Mizutani <masahiko.mizutani.ew@hitachi.com>
To: Annamaria Fulignoli <annamaria.fulignoli@ericsson.com>, mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] Questions on the MPLS-TP CV drafts

Dear Annamaria

Thank you very much for your answer and clarification.
On this topic I would like to have some more information for my
understanding.

You said;
 > The difference between CC and CV:
 > - Continuity Check monitors the integrity of the continuity of the
path; Loss of Continuity is the triggered defect.

 > - Connectivity Verification monitors the integrity of the routing of
the path between sink and source. The connectivity is supervised by
attaching a unique identifier at the source. If the received identifier
does not match this expected identifier, a connectivity defect occurs.

CC doesn’t care whether the LSP it traveled is correct or not. Therefore
the reason we need to have CV for MPLS-TP is to check whether the LSP is
configured correctly or not.
And for CV, we need some functionality at MIP for the inspection and (if
necessary) label processing, whereas a MIP doesn’t respond to CC. Is it
correct?

Additionally I would like to know the following. I’m happy if I could
have your experts’ help.
- Why we need both tour tracing and CV? It seems to me those two are
quite similar to each other.
- What do you mean by diagnostic test? It seems that this includes
performance monitoring (PM). I think PM includes delay measurement and
packet loss counting.. What is the reason you have picked up these
functionalities as separate requirements?
- I think the Alarm reporting means Lock reporting, Remote Defect
reporting, Packet Loss and Delay measurement as well. I don’t disagree
with these requirement, but I would like to understand the difference of
these functionalities.
- In section 1.1, LER, LSR, T-PE and S-PE mentioned here don’t appear
after Section 2. Do we need to mention them?

Best Regards,
Masahiko