Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-framework-09

Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com> Mon, 08 February 2010 06:04 UTC

From: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
To: Maarten Vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 08:05:54 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-framework-09

Maarten and all,
I apologize for a delayed response.
Please see inline below.

Regards,
     Sasha

[[Sasha]] Does this mean that IP is carried over PWs? because ATM, PPP,
HDLC and TDM (I assume that TCM is a typo?) are carried over PWs, not
directly over LSPs.  Which is exactly the problem we are discussing.

> As Neil has noted, IP can be carried in the same manner
> through SDH and OTN networks; the mapping on the UNI-N port is
> IP - GFP-F - SDH > C-n - SDH VC-n,
> or IP - GFP-F - OTN OPUk - OTN ODUk.

[[Sasha]] I've already responded to Neil on this list that, AFAIK, the GFP
code point for IP is not used. And the reason IP people do not use it is
that a single code point for IP is NOT ENOUGH; you MUST carry some "helper"
protocol specific to the given data link in a fate-sharing manner. These
include IPCP for PPP (including POS), ARP for Ethernet, InvARP for FR and ATM.
In addition, if the link is between routers, you must also be able to carry IS-IS.
Of course, adding a couple of new code points to GFP is not difficult; but
we do not discuss GFP here.

IP over MPLS does not need these helper protocols exactly because MPLS
inherently assumes that IP runs natively on all the data links that
support MPLS. As a consequence, MPLS does not have a dedicated PID
for encapsulating IP (or any other protocol):
- if the top label is not popped, next protocol is of no importance
- if the label that is popped is not the last one, the next protocol
is MPLS
- when the last label is popped, the next protocol and the instance
of the forwarding entity handling this protocol are deduced from
this label.

MPLS-TP explicitly states that it must be able to run on data links
without IP, and this is the root cause of all the problems when it comes
to carrying IP over MPLS-TP, be it over PWs or over LSPs.

My 2c,
     Sasha

> If you want to support a mp2mp or rmp IP service ("I-Tree"
> and "I-LAN"),
> then this is possible via a HVPLS. IP is then mapped into an
> Ethernet VC
> (VLAN) and carried as a rmp or mp2mp HVPLS instance through
> the MPLS-TP
> network. This implies that the HVPLS part of a MPLS-TP based packet
> transport network will support two clients: (1) Ethernet and (2) IP.
>
> Regards,
> Maarten

ion-12.txt)
and IPLS.

This observation, IMHO and FWIW, indicates the gap between classical
transport networks and MPLS.

Whether it is possible to bridge this gap in MPLS-TP (i.e., to retain the
possibility to carry IP directly as the LSP client without presuming
congruency of IP and MPLS topologies) remains not clear to me.

On the other hand, it seems pretty obvious (at least, within IETF) that IP
is going to be the dominant client of the next generation of transport
networks. If MPLS-TP cannot handle it as its direct client, its usefulness,
IMHO, will be highly problematic.

My 2c,
     Sasha