Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-framework-09

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Tue, 02 February 2010 20:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:39:32 -0000
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com, agmalis@gmail.com, stbryant@cisco.com
Cc: mpls-tp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] Comments on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-framework-09

Sasha...you wrote:

> Please notice that classic transport networks (SONET/SDH,
> OTN) cannot carry IP as their immediate client.
> They require some intermediate data link layer as their
> immediate client (e.g., POS or Ethernet).

Have a look at GFP, which is a generic adaptation function for packet-based clients in transport networks.  There are UPI codepoints that allow the direct carriage of IP (v4 and v6).

regards, Neil

ion-12.txt) and IPLS.

This observation, IMHO and FWIW, indicates the gap between classical transport networks and MPLS.

Whether it is possible to bridge this gap in MPLS-TP (i.e., to retain the possibility to carry IP directly as the LSP client without presuming congruency of IP and MPLS topologies) remains not clear to me.

On the other hand, it seems pretty obvious (at least, within IETF) that IP is going to be the dominant client of the next generation of transport networks. If MPLS-TP cannot handle it as its direct client, its usefulness, IMHO, will be highly problematic.

My 2c,
     Sasha