Re: [mpls] poll on making draft-jjwl-mpls-mldp-hsmp-01.txt a mpls wg document

"Dutta, Pranjal K (Pranjal)" <pranjal.dutta@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 17 September 2012 23:30 UTC

From: "Dutta, Pranjal K (Pranjal)" <pranjal.dutta@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Lizhong Jin <lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 05:00:24 +0530
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-jjwl-mpls-mldp-hsmp@tools.ietf.org" <draft-jjwl-mpls-mldp-hsmp@tools.ietf.org>, "ice@cisco.com" <ice@cisco.com>, "mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] poll on making draft-jjwl-mpls-mldp-hsmp-01.txt a mpls wg document

Hi Lizhong,
                     Thanks for your clarification. Pls. see my responses inline to your answers.

?      [Lizhong] the forwarding state of HSMP_UP and HSMP_DN are disjoint.
> Their forwarding state programming are triggered by LDP message
> which is same as MP2MP LSP. Your understanding is right, it is the
> say way of MP2P. We will switch the last paragraph of section 4.3.1.
> 2 to the beginning of this section. Thanks.

<Pranjal>

I think it would be good to explicitly mention this other wise it makes the state machine a bit confusing between the boot strap pattern of HSMP
LSP and its death pattern (one part is broken). But my general concern is that - if existing protocol ways can lead to a HSMP LSP that is broken
by half then how does that help to keep the rest of 50% of HSMP functional. My rationale on this is because the HSMP_UP LSP set-up is boot
strapped by receipt of HSMP_DN label mapping. Thus boot strapping state machine for HSMP_UP and HSMP_DN are not disjoint completely.

</Pranjal>

?      [Lizhong] yes, "can" should be "MUST" here, thanks.

<Pranjal>   Looks good to me  </Pranjal>

?     [Lizhong] the HSMP_UP/HSMP_DN state should be withdrawed/released by
> only their corresponding withdraw/release message. Only the leaf
> node will send both withdraw for HSMP_DN and release for HSMP_UP to
> its upstream node, refer to RFC6388 section 3.3.2. BTW, the
> reference section 4.3.2 should be 3.3.2, will fix this in next version.

<Pranjal> OK, looks good to me. </Pranjal>

?     [Lizhong] when Z receives a release of HSMP_DN from U, it maybe
> because of lack of label resouce or other reasons, Z will send label
> release to downstream until to leaf node. When the leaf node
> receives a release of HSMP_DN from its upstream, and it already
> received label mapping of HSMP_UP from U before, leaf node should
> send label release of HSMP_UP to its upstream node. The procedure
> above reflect the disjointness betwen HSMP_DN and HSMP_UP.

<Pranjal> OK if you consider HSMP_UP and HSMP_DN are completely disjoint. </Pranjal>

?      [Lizhong] right, OAM is missing in current draft. Currently the OAM
> tool definition is not in the scope. Maybe another draft effort is necessary.

<Pranjal>

My personal opinion is that on OAM matters it is good to address the OAM solutions in same draft that generated the requirement.
This is in order to avoid fragmentation. I have observed similar case with LDP-MT as well. I don't think a vendor can sell or an operator
can deploy a solution that introduces new LDP tunnel(s) but without any OAM. OAM is very integral part of the solution. Another approach
that we discussed sometimes back is - to introduce a "generalized" LDP Target FEC stack to embed a LDP FEC element itself and thus
completely getting rid of defining new types every time new FEC elements are introduced.

</Pranjal>

I have couple of additional comments that I missed to send earlier. This is primarily with respect to IEEE-1588v2. I don't think the use case
justifies for HSMP and, HSMP as solution to IEEE-1588v2 is a bit flawed.  To be technically very precise, my rationale is as follows:

 1.  Asymmetric Routing Case - Most of the mLdp use cases I have seen so far has asymmetric routing deployed. HSMP would be able to
satisfy the requirements of IEEE-1588 only if by routing it is ensured that topology is not asymmetric between upstream and downstream.
mLdp as a protocol should be agnostic of how routing topology is designed. In fact I would contest the highlighted statement from RFC 6388 to
which the HSMP draft has been repeated references on next-hop resolution. It severely binds mLdp tunnel set-up to routing topology.
Instead the ldp adjacency interface + ldp address database matching with local interface sub-net provides the least common denominator
for mLdp next-hop resolution and works in any routing topology.

2.4.1.2<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6388#section-2.4.1.2>.  Determining the Forwarding Interface to an LSR

   Suppose LSR U receives an MP Label Mapping message from a downstream

   LSR D, specifying label L.  Suppose further that U is connected to D

   over several LDP enabled interfaces or RSVP-TE Tunnel interfaces.  If

   U needs to transmit to D a data packet whose top label is L, U is

   free to transmit the packet on any of those interfaces.  The

   algorithm it uses to choose a particular interface and next-hop for a

   particular such packet is a local matter.  For completeness, the

   following procedure MAY be used.  LSR U may do a lookup in the

   unicast routing table to find the best interface and next-hop to

   reach LSR D. If the next-hop and interface are also advertised by LSR

   D via the LDP session, it can be used to transmit the packet to LSR

   D.

Keeping aside the LAN case, for mLdp the least common denominator is the next-hops associated with the interfaces.
It doesn't require reference to unicast routing since then asymmetric routing does not work. Also mLdp upstream
redundancy (MoFRR) may not work in asymmetric routing case -   if upstream does next-hop resolution is done based
on unicast routing table.

The HSMP draft makes multiple references to the above section 2.4.1.2 in RFC 6388 but I think there is a need to explicitly
mention something like "all rules of 2.4.1.2 except so and so".

 1.  There is an existing WG item http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-targeted-mldp-00 (ahead of HSMP) that enabled
mLdp set-up between indirect next-hops, for example using RSVP-TE "intermediate tunnels". It doesn't ensure that reverse
IP/MPLS node path be same although mLdp overlay can be same and thus IEEE-1588 breaks here.

Section 7 brushes over Co-Routed Path Exceptions without getting into details, but I would consider those exceptions are key
points that restricts HSMP significantly.

  "The LSR/LER in HSMP LSP could detect if the

   path is co-routed or not, if not co-routed, an indication could be

   generated to the management system."

Section 3.2 talks about reducing operational cost significantly by providing both downstream and upstream paths for existing
P2MP mLdp LSPs and thus I would visualize that HSMP would replace mLdp tunnels wherever required (e,g VPMS or IPTV).
But while an operator upgrades the solutions from existing P2MP/MP2MP to HSMP then it also comes with additional caveats
that it may requires an operator to change the existing routing topology to ensure symmetric routing and get rid of
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-targeted-mldp-00. I am not sure whether such undertaking may be desirable in a true
multi-service network.

Thus either HSMP gets rid of use case of IEEE-1588 or restricts itself severely in terms of VPMS or IPTV.

Thus I can't support the IEEE-1588 as the use case of this draft if HSMP can support IEEE-1588 only in very restricted
Scenerios (symmetric routing and no targeted mLdp). If we remove IEEE-1588 use case from the draft then we can talk about
the rest of use cases that justify introduction of a new protocol machinery into mLdp.

Thanks,
Pranjal